Destinations Europe

Dublin, the capital of pubs

June 13, 2015

I never thought I would visit Dublin anytime soon as it wasn’t really on the top of my travel list. Cheap RyanAir tickets and my bf on a nearby UK trip were good arguments to change that quickly 🙂 So that’s how I got to the capital of Ireland and actually – the capital of pubs! First of all, I noticed that the weather is quite changeable – from rainy, sunny, chilly, windy – we had it all. Secondly, I learned that Guinness has the status of a religion and the pubs are where it gets worshipped. The religion’s centre is the always bustling Temple Bar area – a place where beer flows, live music plays and party crowds gather from early afternoon to late night. (Btw not the best place to stay if you’re appreciating good sleep…) The atmosphere was pretty unique and I hardly experienced any other place where going out felt so casual. Every day seems to be St. Patrick’s Day there! And although Dublin has much more to explore than its great pub scene (o.k, we made it to the library of Trinity College at least 😉 ), there wasn’t enough time to do much else. The fact that another great landmark has to do with beer probably didn’t help: The Guinness Storehouse is basically a gigantic beer theme park and even I, who doesn’t drink beer at all, was quite impressed (mainly about the elaborate staging of a product/brand). Of course, as we passed the really serious Guinness Academy, we got a pint as a reward 😉 Sláinte!

The Temple Bar areaEvery day is St. Patrick's Day

Dublin's most famous pubPeople gathering in front of the pubLive Music on the street

Colourful doorsEarly morning Quick breakfast: Scones and Irish tea!

Scones and tea, the light version of Irish breakfastTrinity College

Trinity CampusTrinity CampusTrinitiy College library

Castle MarketCoffee breakMore grafittiGuinness Storehouse

Guinness storehouseGuinnes storehouseDrawing the perfect pintSerious stuffWe passed the Guinness Academy :PI'm not a beer drinker but at least I had to try it ;)View from the Gravity BarView from the Gravity BarThe huge Guinness brewery groundsMmm Irish beef steak with hand cut fries…

Irish beef steak, mmmm

Are you planning to go to Dublin soon? This article is also available as an offline app through GPSmycity. You can get it here.

• Reply sophrosaine June 13, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Reblogged this on sophrosaine.

• Reply tschellufjek June 14, 2015 at 11:20 am

Your photos remind me of my trip to Dublin 3 years ago. Such a lovely city! Have you been to the Brazen Head, Ireland’s officially oldest bar?

• Reply sileas June 14, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I only passed by but unfortunately didn’t have time to check it out, too bad…

• Reply aroundtheworldin80pairsofshoes June 14, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Your post has got me thinking that I should revisit Dublin as I have only ever done a day trip from London with Ryan Air and there is plenty more to discover. Your photos are gorgeous x

• Reply sileas June 15, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Thanks a lot, I’m happy to hear that 🙂 I’ve never been to London though, but that has to be changed very soon 😉

• Reply aroundtheworldin80pairsofshoes June 15, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Definitely go for afternoon tea when in London, you can’t leave otherwise 😉 xx

• Reply sileas June 16, 2015 at 7:27 pm

For me as a tea lover that’s an absolute must-do 😉

• Reply Deb Che June 14, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Great photo gallery of Dublin! I’ve never been to Ireland but it’s on my radar now 🙂

• Reply sileas June 15, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Thank you! The countryside of Ireland is even more worth visiting!

• Reply shootingvienna June 14, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Sounds great! I have been to Ireland when I was in school but we explored Galway instead of Dublin so it is still on my to-do list. The pictures of the library are great, hopefully I will see them in person soon 😉

• Reply sileas June 15, 2015 at 7:18 pm

There’re so many nice places in Ireland… It would be cool to hear your opinion about Dublin 😉

• Reply Paleica June 15, 2015 at 8:13 am

ich finde generell, dass viele städte auf der insel so ein tolles flair haben. mir gefällt die irische architektur total gut, ich finde, das hat was von spätem mittelalter 🙂 wobei auf meiner reiseliste schottland noch etwas vor irland platziert ist 🙂

• Reply sileas June 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Spätes Mittelalter triffts total! Man kommt sich teilweise wie auf einer Zeitreise vor. Schottland fände ich nun auch voll spannend, wobei ich es mir sehr ähnlich vorstelle 😉

• Reply Paleica June 16, 2015 at 7:43 am

ja, das ist es bestimmt. aber die schottischen highlands und die ganzen lochs, das ist nebst edinburgh bestimmt toll!

• Reply sileas June 16, 2015 at 8:13 am

Oh ja, ein bisschen düster und mystisch, mal was Anderes 😉

• Reply 2015 – A travel year in review | sweet/escapes January 3, 2016 at 7:02 pm

[…] Guinness, pubs and old books were the quint-essentials in Dublin. […]

• Reply Kenza March 8, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Wow that looks soooo cool ! Love you picture !

I’m gonna be in Dublin in April and I’m so excited to discover this city !!!!

Thank you for sharing. 🙂

Kenza from http://travelwithkenza.blogspot.fr/

• Reply sileas March 9, 2016 at 9:31 am

Thank you for stopping by and your friendly comment! Safe travels and enjoy Dublin!!