Austria Destinations

Medieval festival in Eggenburg

October 6, 2015

If you think medieval pageants with knights, minstrels and noble maids are only for kids or geeks, you should visit the one of Eggenburg, which is a huge, annual spectacle for lovers of the Middle Ages in Austria and beyond. The town is (partly) surrounded by an original wall of the 14th century and has a beautiful square with well preserved, old houses – so it’s an ideal setting for such a venue, they must have thought. Locals as well as visitors take that festival really seriously, you can see how much effort they put into details: Even the modern traffic signs were covered with bearings or flags and not to mention the wonderful, lovely made costumes most of the visitors were dressed up with. I was quite amazed about the amount of people who were so passionate about medieval clothes, accessories and handicraft. On the other hand – think of all the popular series or movies like Game of Thrones, The Hobbit etc., which all play in sort of a medieval setting: No surprise, the Middle Ages are hip! Although that era is known for being very dark and rough, the festival definitely focuses on the bright side where kids, young-at-hearts and foodies should have a good time. I couldn’t resist the fairy-talish-Robin-Hood-atmosphere either! Btw next year’s date is September 10th-11th 2016 (click here for more information) 😉 Call me a geek or whatsoever but I loved it!

EB1EB13EB9EB12EB5Even these guys were dressed up properly. And they were huuuuge!

EB7Is this how they used to take baths in the medieval?

EB14

Food and drinks were hearty as you would expect. If you’re a meat lover, this is paradise! And don’t miss Met (honey) beer! I don’t like beer usually but this one was sooo good!

EB15EB16EB17EB18

What would the medieval be without weapons, right? I especially love archery and I’m practicing it for a while now. Still not very good at it but it’s such an aesthetic sport!

EB2EB23Did you enjoy this post? If yes, I’d be very happy about a “like” on my Facebook page or follow me on TwitterGoogle+Bloglovin or Instagram! THANK YOU ❤️‍ 🙂

• Reply Paleica October 7, 2015 at 8:05 am

was du immer so findest. wie bist du denn auf die idee gekommen, dir das anzuschauen? gefällt mir richtig gut – das mittelalter hat mich ja schon immer fasziniert, spätestens aber seit ich das erste mal von der artus-sage gehört hab ^.^ ich könnte mir durchaus vorstellen, dass es mir dort auch gefällt 🙂

• Reply sileas October 7, 2015 at 11:09 am

Haha, anscheinend muss man nur die richtigen Freunde haben 😉 Ich war schon mal vor ein paar Jahren dort, aber da bin ich auch nicht von selbst drauf gekommen. Mir gefällt daran, dass es nicht zu aufgesetzt wirkt, sondern irgendwie einfach dorthin passt!

• Reply Milk and Champagne October 7, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Been there, done that! I was hoping to find myself somewhere in the background of your photos… Check mine as well – may be you’ll notice yourself! https://milkandchampagne.wordpress.com/2015/09/18/what-happened-last-weekend/

• Reply sileas October 7, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Thank you, I saw that post – and you took some awesome portraits!

• Reply bingyourstyle October 8, 2015 at 5:23 am

THis looks so much fun,awesome!xoxo BIng.

• Reply sileas October 8, 2015 at 4:25 pm

We really had a good time and the weather was perfect too!

• Reply angelinaisblog October 8, 2015 at 5:34 am

This looks like such a fun event! It’s cool that everyone really goes all out – that makes for such an amazing atmosphere. The food looks delicious as well, and quite authentic!

Angelina Is | Bloglovin’

• Reply sileas October 8, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Thanks for your comment, I was thinking exactly the same 🙂

• Reply The Tastemonials October 8, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Meine Güte, diese Spanferkel sehen so was von lecker aus!! Bei uns gibt es zur Adventszeit immer einen mittelalterliche Weihnachtsmarkt, da geht’s so ähnlich zu wie auf deinen Bildern. Nur der Waschzuber fehlt 😉 Liebe Grüsse, Heike

• Reply sileas October 9, 2015 at 10:26 am

Weihnachtsmärkte sind ja für sich schon toll, aber ein mittelalterlicher Weihnachtsmarkt ist noch eine Steigerung 😉

• Reply Tiffany Ang October 8, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Gee Whizs! This is so neat!
    Is there a certain reason why there is a Medieval Festival to celebrate something?
    I think I would love it as I am a meat lover (that pig!!!) hahaha.

x Tiff

• Reply sileas October 9, 2015 at 10:27 am

Haha I guess they’re just celebrating for fun and to have a good excuse to eat all that amazing food 😉

• Reply Die Gradwanderung (@dgradwanderung) October 9, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Mittelaltermärkte sind toll! Ich war auch schon auf vielen, allerdings nie verkleidet. Das Essen ist zwar nie günstig, dafür aber (meistens) sehr lecker. 🙂

Herzlich
    Anna

• Reply sileas October 10, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Hallo Anna, mir fehlte leider auch das richtige Outfit, aber zum Glück lassen sie einen auch so rein 😛 Stimmt, das Essen ist sehr deftig, aber lecker!

• Reply kmkucharski October 10, 2015 at 2:59 pm

das ist so viel besser als die amerikanischen – sie haben eine in Fort Tryon Park in der Nähe des Cloisters Museum und ich habe über die Leute im Kostüm zu anderen Zeiten zu tun Amateurfilme laufen – sie Spaß haben, aber es scheint eher wie Comic Con. Ich liebe Ihre Badehaus photo – glaube nicht, ich würde es wagen, gehen in there!

• Reply sileas October 10, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Haha, das klingt auch interessant, aber Hauptsache die Leute haben Spaß! Ins Badehaus wäre ich aber auch nicht gegangen 😉

• Reply Hayley October 15, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Glad you enjoyed my musings! I had a read of this post – sounds amazing, I’ll have to add Eggenburg to the bucket list 🙂

• Reply sileas October 16, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Thanks for stopping by! Definitely you have to make your way back at some point 😉

• Reply 2015 – A travel year in review | sweet/escapes January 3, 2016 at 7:02 pm

[…] medieval festival can be so much fun when it’s as perfectly organised as in […]