Destinations Europe

Berlin Pt. 1 – A delicious diary

October 19, 2015

My first visit in Berlin last year was so short and rushed, that I couldn’t really enjoy what the city had to offer. With my bf as my company it was pretty obvious that food is going to play an important role this time. So what we did most of the time was eating – and Germany’s capital as a melting pot of different cultures – has a lot of excellent ethnic food to a very decent price. Also Berlin has become the hub for hipster coffee culture with chic coffee shops everywhere. Join me to my culinary photo journey!

Kaschk

Our first coffee/tea stop after we arrived in Berlin in the morning. Time to relax after the journey while waiting for our room to be ready… – https://www.facebook.com/kaschk?ref=hl

Mauerpark Flea Market

We arrived on a Sunday which meant flea market time! Berlin’s popular flea market near Mauerpark isn’t only a paradise for second hand clothes, furniture and all kinds of falderal but also there are plenty of food trucks. Resisting the tempting smell of sausages we went for vegetarian pajeon (Korean pancakes). – http://www.flohmarktimmauerpark.de

Preußen Park

Probably the best find of our trip! Once you made your way to the ordinary Preußen-Park, you’ll find yourself in an extraordinary Thai-style picnic! The ladies only need some mats, parasols and camping stoves to set up food stalls just the way they do it in Thailand. And what they serve is far from the usual menu in Western Thai restaurants: It’s the real stuff! Apparently this (completely illegal) “market” happens every weekend with good weather, some can be even found every day. Considering the prices and the quality it’s no wonder this is so popular. Highly recommended if you’re missing real Thai street food!

Berlin8Berlin9Berlin14Berlin10We were curious to try the black dumplings, however they tasted rather normal.

Berlin12Berlin11Eating authentic som tum in proper style on a plastic stool.

Berlin13Where else can you get such a delicious bowl of bamee moo daeng (on a plastic bucket)?

Berlin15Café Cinema

This old but charming café boasts one of Berlin’s most famous courtyards. The walls are full with posters and artworks, giving it a grungy, artsy atmosphere. A very photogenic place! – Rosenthaler Straße 39, 10178 Berlin

The other day we had breakfast at the popular coffee roastery The Barn, Japanese style burgers at Shiso Burger and hearty ramen at Cocolo Ramen for dinner.

House of small wonder

The cutest stair case ever takes you to a mezzanine where lovely decoration comes as eye-candy with your breakfast. They also serve lunch and sandwiches. – http://www.houseofsmallwonder.de

I don’t know if this is sad or not that a sausage snack is considered as Berlin’s signature dish. However currywurst is pretty damn tasty and comes with lots of gravy to dip the fries in. Just as often as currywurst, you’ll find kebab in the city. We had the cheapest lahmacun somewhere in Neukölln, too bad I didn’t take a photo of it…

District Môt

The most common food after sausages and Turkish cuisine must be Vietnamese. I’ve never seen so many Viet restaurants outside Vietnam and we had it three times during a four-day-stay. The rather hip District Môt had some funny interior including plastic chairs which makes your dining experience even more authentic 😉 – http://www.districtmot.com

Close to our hotel was this 24-hour-café Mein Haus am See. Great for coffee during the day and cocktails at night, it was a convenient place to hang out. You can see – earlier in the day there was plenty of space but the party starts later in the attached club Cosmic Kaspar. – http://mein-haus-am-see.blogspot.co.at/p/cosmic-kaspar.html

So we’ve seen quite a few cool spots in Berlin. What else shouldn’t be missed? I’d be happy to read your comments!

Are you planning to go to Berlin soon? This article is also available as an offline app through GPSmycity. You can get it here.

• Reply annie lee October 19, 2015 at 6:12 pm

when i arrived in london on the weekend i went straight to farmers market haha i love how these countries are so big on weekend markets! and vegetarian pajeon. mmmMM!

• Reply sileas October 21, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Me too! The products, the vibe, the food – it’s great!

• Reply The Tastemonials October 19, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Wenn ich deine Bilder so ansehe, habe ich große Lust mal wieder ins ‘Dicke B’ zu fahren. Dann könnte ich dort endlich mal Currywurst essen 😉 Liebe Grüsse, Heike

• Reply sileas October 21, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Haha das “dicke B” sagt ihr also?! Ich war am Anfang etwas skeptisch, aber die Currywurst ist es definitiv wert 😉

• Reply Paleica October 20, 2015 at 8:07 am

oooh das sieht alles lecker aus! während unserer berlin-tage im mai haben wir gefühlt auch nur gegessen – quer durch die kulturen! currywurst, matjesweckerl, kebap, indisch, spanisch, italienisch und zwischendurch berliner hipster zeug wie salzmandeleis und takeawaycouscous 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Reply sileas October 21, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Die Auswahl dort ist so toll! Hört sich aber auch richtig lecker an, der perfekte Fressurlaub 😀

• Reply SueT唐 梦 琇 October 20, 2015 at 10:58 am

I love Korean pancakes – delicious…very hungry after reading this post and looking at your fab photos.

• Reply sileas October 21, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Thank you! I wish I could have them more often, I really like them too!

• Reply Vicky T. October 20, 2015 at 4:40 pm

I’ve never ben to Berlin but this looks super fun

• Reply sileas October 21, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Vicky, we were pretty happy 🙂

• Reply Chiara Pannozzo (@wine_and_olives) October 20, 2015 at 5:02 pm

I’m desperate to visit Berlin. It’s been on my list of places to go, but any time I’ve had off work the flights have been a little too pricey to justify. I’ll hopefully get there soon though, your post has made me seriously want to visit 🙂

• Reply sileas October 21, 2015 at 2:34 pm

That’s a pity really! Once you’re there it’s not bad at all – food and accommodation is very reasonable. Hope you’ll find a good deal soon!

• Reply dayinmydreams October 21, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Berlin looks incredible! I’d kill just for a cup of that coffee about now lol. great capture of the trip

• Reply sileas October 21, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Thank you! Haha you’re right, that coffee does look quite tempting actually…

• Reply shootingvienna October 21, 2015 at 8:03 pm

So kulinarisch würde ich Berlin auch gern mal entdecken 😉
    Sieht alles echt gut aus. Muss ich gleich an meinen Freund weiterleiten hehe

• Reply sileas October 22, 2015 at 10:09 am

Danke! Kann ich nur empfehlen 😉

• Reply aktcornelio October 22, 2015 at 11:35 am

OH MY GOD. BERLIN IS BEAUTIFUL!!! 🙂 Thanks for taking us on your adventure! It’s absolutely amazing! Great pictures!

• Reply sileas October 22, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Thank you so much for your nice words 🙂 There’s lots going on in Berlin, very worth visiting!

• Reply throughcityandforest October 22, 2015 at 9:06 pm

The Barn is my favourite coffee shop in Berlin! I hope you had the carrot cake while you were there, it’s the best!

• Reply sileas October 25, 2015 at 8:45 am

Oh no, too bad I didn’t get that one! The croissants weren’t bad at all though 😉

• Reply Mitzie Mee October 23, 2015 at 8:00 am

That’s one of the things I really love about Berlin even though I’m also a big fan of Curry Wurst and other traditional German food. Your pictures look amazing and reminds me, that I haven’t had breakfast yet. I’d better fix that:)

• Reply sileas October 25, 2015 at 8:47 am

Haha thanks! Currywurst for breakfast would be great wouldn’t it? 😉

• Reply Berlin Part II – Shopping and architecture | sweet/escapes October 24, 2015 at 5:42 pm

[…] the last post, you might think we only headed from restaurants to coffee shops and snack booths during our trip. […]

• Reply kmkucharski October 25, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I hope to visit Berlin next year – so thank you gorgeous all the suggestions – love the Thai street food in the park – we have lots of informal food vendors in my neighborhood of East Harlem in New York – on of the things I love!

• Reply sileas October 28, 2015 at 11:40 am

Oh really, I have to check that out next time!

• Reply Tiffany Ang October 26, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Nom nom no, above pic looks sooooo good and the market is so much fun with such a diverse of food (and asian food that you are craving for)!!!!
    I’ve not been to Berlin yet, but I’ll be sure to list it in my next Europe trip, and I hope it happens soon 🙂

x Tiff

• Reply sileas October 28, 2015 at 11:37 am

Oh that would be exciting!! So many places in Europe to visit, the list is going to be endless 😛

• Reply Terri @ Little Wanderings October 31, 2015 at 1:42 pm

I am going to be in Berlin next May and this post makes me SO excited! I can’t wait to eat my way through this city. Thanks so much for sharing your delicious finds! x

• Reply sileas November 2, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Oh great! I hope there was some useful tips. Would love to read about your Berlin adventures then 😉

• Reply 2015 – A travel year in review | sweet/escapes January 3, 2016 at 7:02 pm

[…] the food scene of Berlin was so much fun. And believe me, the city has it […]

• Reply Jenny Stephens April 20, 2016 at 4:24 am

This is such a great post! I’m really enjoying browsing your blog. I only made it to Berlin for one day about four years ago and I was impressed but obviously did not have enough time to really see it properly. You make me want to go back!

• Reply sileas April 20, 2016 at 10:55 am

Oh thanks for your compliment! I hope you can plan a longer stay next time 😉