Austria Destinations

The mountains are calling…

February 8, 2016
Obertauern

Mentally not quite arrived after my Thailand trip, soon the mountains were calling me to remind me what real winter feels like. And that’s a hard reality slap when you arrive late in the evening at -16°C. However the next day greeted us with the clearest sky and the crispest air you can imagine. These are the kind of moments where I’m grateful for all the painful days back during the ski/snowboarding camps at school (and my dad who gave me my first snowboard as Christmas present). And to clear up with a prejudice – not EVERY Austrian skis or snowboards, mainly because it has become quite a pricey activity. But if you’re having such an amazing time in the mountains, you’ll know that every penny is well spent. I haven’t been using my snowboard for a while now (it usually catches dust in my room), but I was lucky to get the opportunity to share an apartment with some friends in Obertauern, in my opinion one of the best ski resorts on earth.

OT7OT2A selfie in full outfit. Yes, I think winter holidays are just as good as beach getaways 🙂

OT14

Warming up is important!

OT13OT9OT26Couldn’t get enough of the panoramas… #speechless

OT16OT11OT18aOT10The best part (apart from surfing down the snow of course) are the cozy mountain huts where you can refill your energy with lots of calories and – for many visitors this is important too – alcohol. I refrain from drinking while being on the pistes though (well a sip is ok, hehe 😉 )

OT20There are certain types of food which are best enjoyed in the mountains. Kasnock’n (kind of cheese gnocchi) is one of them. So cheesy and good!

OT22OT23After lunch we were ready to hit the slopes again. #boardercrew

OT17OT8OT6The weather is very changeable, so you might experience anything between the bluest sky and snow coming from all directions. Latter happened on the way home but at least we drove through the prettiest winter landscapes ❤️‍

So do you ski or snowboard? Or would you like to try it?

• Reply Katherine Karimi February 8, 2016 at 7:57 pm

I don’t ski, but these are gorgeous photos!

• Reply sileas February 10, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Thank you Katherine!

• Reply Urska @ Slovenian Girl Abroad February 8, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Obertauern looks awesome from your photos! I would love to ski there. 🙂

• Reply sileas February 10, 2016 at 2:58 pm

It certainly is! I almost forgot how much fun winter sports are 🙂

• Reply Paleica February 9, 2016 at 8:44 am

uuuur schön! hach, ich bin total verliebt!! berge, schnee, das mag ich schon sehr. ich war seit 6 jahren nicht mehr auf der piste, stefan kann wegen seinem kreuzband nicht und irgendwie hat es sich sonst nie ergeben. langsam frag ich mich, ob ich nochmal schifahren werd (das snowboarden hab ich wieder aufgegeben)…

• Reply sileas February 10, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Ui das ist schade! Ich komme auch viel zu selten auf die Piste, aber jedes Mal macht es dann doch viel Spaß. Falls sich die Gelegenheit zum Skifahren irgendwann ergibt, würde ich sie ergreifen, ansonsten kann man auch ohne Ski die Berge genießen 😉

• Reply Paleica February 10, 2016 at 3:09 pm

ja das plane ich auf jeden fall!

• Reply shootingvienna February 9, 2016 at 10:32 am

Ich war eher uncool und bin Ski gefahren 😉 aber generell bin ich jetzt nicht so der Wintersportfan, mir ist es zu langweilig einen Berg rauf und runter zu fahren. Ich sitze lieber in der Ski Hütte und genieße das Essen oder geh in den Bergen die WInterlandschaft fotografieren 🙂
    Traumhaftes Wetter, es sieht echt schön aus in Obertauern!

• Reply sileas February 10, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Skifahren ist mittlerweile wieder total cool geworden 😉 Wir hatten echt Wahnsinns-Glück mit dem Wetter und ich war mit der Mischung Piste/Hütte auch sehr zufrieden 🙂

• Reply shootingvienna February 11, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Tja ich mittlerweile zu cool fürs Ski fahren 😛 Glaub ich dir, sieht echt wunderschön aus auf den Fotos!

• Reply Linda February 9, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!! And yes, we love to ski!! 🙂

• Reply sileas February 10, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Thank you, we had a blast! I’m totally with you, skiing (and snowboarding) is so much fun!

• Reply Vicky T. February 10, 2016 at 6:38 am

Snowboarding looks so fun! I live in Southern California so it’s not very wintery here

• Reply sileas February 10, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Having no winter is not bad at all either 😉 I’d love to go to the beach year-round!

• Reply Vicky T. February 11, 2016 at 7:11 am

Haha the beach is great but I would love to see a white winter for a change

• Reply Ree February 10, 2016 at 11:08 am

This reminds me how much i love snow!! Everything looks speechless❤ Wish i could ski there.

• Reply sileas February 10, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Thank you Ree! It’s paradise for snow lovers <3

• Reply mintnoti February 10, 2016 at 4:00 pm

I haven’t gone skiing since I was a kid, but I remember it being a lot of fun! This looks like an incredible experience, makes me want to hit the slopes. Great photos!

• Reply sileas February 14, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Thank you! It certainly is a lot of fun, maybe you should pick it up again? 😉

• Reply sommertage February 11, 2016 at 1:38 am

Ohh ich war schon viel zu lange nicht mehr in Obertauern… Gibt’s das Edelweiss-Aprés-Ski noch? 😀

• Reply sileas February 14, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Wir waren leider zu k.o. für Aprés Ski… Das Alter macht sich wohl langsam bemerkbar 😛

• Reply SueT唐 梦 琇 February 11, 2016 at 4:00 am

What a spectacular Winter Wonderland. Bit cold !!! Gnocchi type meal looks so filling and great for the cold. Loved your photos.

• Reply sileas February 14, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Thanks Sue! Yes you better keep moving in that cold 😉

• Reply annie lee February 11, 2016 at 6:47 am

wow.. i don’t think i’ve ever seen so much snow in my life. thanks for sharing! and seriously, how do ppl survive in -16 kind of temperature..? 😐 it goes down to 10 here and everyone’s already freaking out lol.

• Reply sileas February 14, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Hahaha I know right? You need a lot of layers and a thick jacket to make it bearable 😉

• Reply Die Gradwanderung (@dgradwanderung) February 11, 2016 at 11:49 am

Das sieht nach sehr viel Spaß aus! Skifahren kann ich leider gar nicht, gibt ja auch keine Berge hier, wo ich es hätte lernen können. 😉 Vielleicht nehme ich es mir in Zukunft aber mal vor.

Herzlich,
    ANna

• Reply sileas February 14, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Du würdest es nicht bereuen! Vielleicht lässt sich das beim nächsten Österreich Trip einbauen 😉

• Reply Chiara Pannozzo (@wine_and_olives) February 11, 2016 at 3:16 pm

I could do with a big bowl of that cheesy gnocchi style dish right now 🙂 your photos are gorgeous and it looks like you had an amazing time x

• Reply sileas February 14, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Thank you Chiara, I really did!

• Reply maomau February 11, 2016 at 3:43 pm

It looks beautiful and fun! I wish i could ski but alas, i can’t (i’ve tried many times). I’ll just hang at the lodge and drink hot beverages and eat yummy warm foods. 😉

• Reply sileas February 14, 2016 at 4:31 pm

No worries, you’re not the only one! I love hanging out at the lodge too 😉

• Reply rae tashman (@lovefromberlin) February 11, 2016 at 4:41 pm

This mountain hut is so cute! And wow! -15 definitely sounds pretty shocking after being someplace so warm and tropical like Thailand! I am actually traveling to Austria next week for a ski/snowboard trip with friends! I have only been skiing once, but I really liked it so I figured better late than never right? If I learn a bit more, in a few years I can go regularly with confidence! I am not sure whether or not to try skiing again or snowboarding for the first time though! Lovely photos 🙂

Rae | Love from Berlin

• Reply sileas February 14, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Dankeschön! Oh it’ll be a blast! I’m sure you’ll be a fast learner and once you’re confident on skis I’d stick to them 😉

• Reply Tiffany. Yang February 12, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Austria looks amazing! i love skiing, though i’m not very good at it haha. I haven’t get a chance to go the ski courts in Europe, but hopefully soon 🙂 have a great day!

• Reply sileas February 14, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Yes try it! I bet you’re doing pretty well on skis 🙂

• Reply Mitzie Mee February 12, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Those photos look amazing! I worked one season at a ski resort in Norway and I went skiing almost every day, but it’s such a long time ago, and I don’t think I remember anything anymore. I bought a pair of carving skis and I think they’re still somewhere at my parents’ place. Not sure if I dare to use them again:)

• Reply sileas February 14, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Wow I’m impressed of the many things you did in your life! Skiing is like swimming, I’m sure once your back on skis you’ll race down like a pro!

• Reply Lalitha Raghavan April 15, 2016 at 9:50 am

Thanks for visiting my blog. Its been a while since my trip to Austria. Its such a beautiful country. I miss it so much!