Destinations Europe

Eat, drink and sleep in Budapest

April 18, 2016
Budapest food

Budapest has a lot to offer for hungry stomachs. I don’t know whether it was normal or not but when we walked through the city we stumbled upon one food market to another. It seemed like the whole city was a big giant food fair, mostly serving hearty Hungarian staples. It’s definitely a paradise for meat lovers and big eaters as everything is rather on the heavy side, but the good part of a city trip is that you walk it off mostly, right?

Btw the contest of my last post is still open until April 20th. Please head over and get your giveaway 🙂

BP40

Rooster intestine stew was simmering in giant pots…

BP41

Lángos – a greasy, deep fried dough with lots of sour cream and cheese! Yummy!

BP42

After all the grease in our stomachs, we needed some tea to digest it. Marumoto tea house was the perfect place to take a break.

BP45

And suddenly there was room for a daifuku 😛

BP46 BP47

I liked this place so much, that we came again for some ice tea!

BP48

We were very happy with our hotel pick. Although located in an old building, Bohem Art Hotel was modern and artsy inside. Especially the breakfast buffet was amazing. Their paprika sausages were addictive o_O

BP51 BP52 BP53

More food, more people. With that background it felt somewhat medieval.

BP56

Lamb goulash. A bit too strong for my taste but my bf loved it.

BP55

Oh the smell of those is irresistible, I’m telling  you!

BP54

In the middle of the Jewish quarter we found this cool place: Szimpla Kert. An old, run-down building converted into an awesome party space. So called “ruin bars” are a big thing in Budapest.

BP57

BP59 BP58

We only went during day time but that place was filled with so much random stuff and scribbles, that we enjoyed exploring nevertheless…

BP60

Abszolut Pho satisfied our cravings for some lighter food and vegetables. Also they claim to have one of the largest Palinka (Hungarian schnapps) selection of Budapest (with more than 200 types). Pho and alcohol seem to be a well working combo!

BP63 BP64

Duck is another popular meat in Hungary, so we had some duck dishes at the modern Hungarian bistro Magyar Qtr.

BP65 BP66

Bors is a hugely popular takeout spot serving soups and sandwiches, perfect for quick lunch! Too bad I didn’t try their Nutella soup… If anyone of you did – please tell me how it was!

BP67 BP68

Lastly we grabbed some souvenirs at the main market. Although it’s a bit touristy, you’ll find a lot of local delicacies at one spot. Hungary is popular for its paprika, so if you’re there, don’t forget to take some home!

BP70 BP69

Are you planning to go to Budapest soon? This article is also available as an offline app through GPSmycity. You can get it here.

• Reply Christina April 18, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Nutella soup?! Sounds…. interesting 😀

I also got some over-priced paprika at the market but I think it is okay to sometimes pay too much for something 🙂 especially if it’s a ‘souvenir’ that you’re actually gonna use at home 🙂

Looks like you had a great trip! 🙂

• Reply sileas April 29, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Yeah we we’re checking prices at so many stalls but at the end it was more or less the same! That means I have to cook goulash more often 😉

• Reply SueT唐 梦 琇 April 19, 2016 at 3:42 am

This is one of my favourite posts – I loved reading it – what an amazing amount of food to be eaten and luckily the sights are wonderful so you can walk off the foods. Nutella soup sounds interesting (not sure if it would be delicious) but everything seems to be about Nutella here in Australia – cakes, milkshakes, doughnuts, cronuts…everything!!! I do like it on toast though.

• Reply sileas April 29, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Thank you Sue, I’m so glad you enjoyed reading it. Yeah Nutella is an all-rounder 😉

• Reply shootingvienna April 19, 2016 at 6:14 am

Uh außer dem Maromoto kenne ich die anderen Plätze nicht die du vorgestellt hast! Da muss ich echt mal wieder nach Budapest schauen 🙂
    Sehr toller Bericht! Da bekomme ich gleich Hunger..

• Reply sileas April 29, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Danke! Ja Budapest ist wirklich immer einen Besuch wert 😉

• Reply Paleica April 19, 2016 at 6:29 am

ich hätte in budapest ja eigentlich auch problemlos den ganzen tag essen können. sieht alles wirklich lecker aus 🙂 ich habe übrigens sogar geschafft, gegenüber unseres hotels ein vegetarisches gericht auf der karte zu finden 🙂

• Reply sileas April 29, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Haha stimmt, Vegetarier sind wahrscheinlich etwas benachteiligt dort 😛

• Reply Mitzie Mee April 19, 2016 at 4:49 pm

You found daifuku mochis in Budapest? And Pho soup? It looks so good that for a moment, i thought I had scrolled down to another post (about Vietnam or Japan):) I’m curious about that langos, because there’s a langos vendor at the train station in Copenhagen, which I pass every morning. I never had a clue about what langos was, but now I feel like I have to try it:)

• Reply sileas April 29, 2016 at 12:44 pm

It’s great that the food scene has become so diverse! Hungarian cuisine is delicious but a bit too heavy to eat every day… If you like deep fried stuff, the langos is just right 😉

• Reply Born to Travel April 20, 2016 at 3:12 am

Hi Julia,
    Enjoyed reading your post and looking at your great photos. We were in Budapest back in 2008 and loved the market. Ate some delicious plum slices. My youngest son and I tried the goulash and really liked it. Our favourite restaurant was Menza at Liszt Ferenc tér 2. Delicious fusion cooking. The only problem was the long queue to get in. If it’s still there I’d recommend a visit next time you go to Budapest.
    Cheers
    Mark

• Reply sileas April 29, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for your comment and your tip! I have to check it out next time, it must’ve been good if people were standing in line and I wonder if it’s still like that 😉

• Reply Vicky T. April 20, 2016 at 5:16 am

You go to so many good places to eat. This is making me hungry haha

The hotel also seems like a really unique place to stay in.

• Reply sileas April 29, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Thanks Vicky, we really enjoyed both – the food and the room 🙂

• Reply annie lee April 20, 2016 at 1:21 pm

this is such a great in depth review julia! big giant food fair type of city sounds exactly like my type of city! hahaha your mirror selfie is so spot on i love it!

• Reply sileas April 29, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Awww thank you! Food is almost as abundant as in Bangkok there, so you’d most likely feel like home 😉

• Reply V-Light April 20, 2016 at 4:47 pm

So many nice photos! 😀 Makes me really hungry and wanting to visit Budapest! Seems like you had a great time there! 😀

• Reply sileas April 29, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Thank you, I’m getting hungry too actually when I think back of all their food 😉 You should visit Budapest one day, I’m sure you’d like it too!

• Reply Kandice April 22, 2016 at 9:08 am

giant food fair? oh that’s for me! haha the architecture of budapest amazes me. I want to visit it one day 🙂

• Reply sileas April 29, 2016 at 12:55 pm

It’s indeed a great city for foodies and architecture lovers alike!

• Reply Gabriella April 22, 2016 at 10:53 am

Fantastic pictures Julia, it seems like you had a lot of fun here! 🙂 I loved your article so much that I’ve already posted it on our FB page. Drop me an e-mail next time you’re around! 🙂 wish you the best!

• Reply sileas May 4, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Hi Gabriella, thank you so much!! I really enjoyed Budapest and hope to visit again soon 😉

• Reply Karen July 1, 2016 at 3:48 pm

I stumbled across your blog as my son was asking for some food suggestions on his trip to Europe in a few weeks…I’ll pass along your post as one of his stops is Budapest. My husband and I travel to Austria and Germany most every year but have not been to Hungary.