New York City

3 Tips for summer in NYC

August 17, 2016
Kimoto rooftop

Summer in the city? Yes please! I dared to visit NYC in the summer and although it was as hot and humid as I feared, after all it wasn’t that bad. Of course I didn’t walk through the concrete jungle during the hottest time of the day if I could avoid it. AC’s are life savers (especially in the trains as you can get baked in the stations…), so are cold drinks and the refreshing Atlantic ocean. If you haven’t noticed yet, I’m not that kind of “xy things to see in z” blogger, but for this post I’m making a little exception 😉

1. Visit a museum

Usually a bad weather alternative, but with temperatures rising up to the 90’s (Fahrenheit), every AC’d building is a blessing. So why not killing some time in a museum you’ve always wanted to visit? In our case it was the NY Transit Museum located in a discontinued subway station in Brooklyn. Ok, I admit I was a little disappointed that it was still quite hot inside, but once you see under what conditions the workers built NYC’s widespread subway network, you won’t complain… Also there are lots of original samples of ticket booths, turnstiles and trains from 1904 till today – very nice to browse through!

TransitMuseum3 TransitMuseum1 TransitMuseum2 TransitMuseum4

2. Go to the beach

Surely the beaches of NYC won’t sweep you off your feet, but they’re are good enough for long beach walks and a little tan. Either you’re looking for amusement and want to eat the best hot dogs – Coney Island is the place to be. Or you prefer more isolation (at least during the week) – along the endless Rockaway Beach you’ll surely find a quiet spot. Furthermore there are a few abandoned houses at Fort Tilden, a former military installation, which are (still) open to explore. Great photo location btw but you’ll need a car to get there…

FortTilden1 FortTilden3 FortTilden2 FortTilden4 FortTilden5FortTilden6 FortTilden7 FortTilden8

3. Eat

Well let’s finish this post with the most important part: Food! Certainly something we need all-year-round 🙂 Here are my favourites from my last trip:

Japanese Izakaya tapas at Menkui Tei (60 W 56th Street)

Menkuitei1

The amazing Thai noodle soups at Pye Boat Noodle were well worth the trip to Queens! (35-13 Broadway)

PyeBoat1 PyeBoat2PyeBoat3

Can’t get enough of NY’s cheap tacos…

Tacos1Tacos2

I really enjoyed the view and Asian inspired finger food at Kimoto rooftop.

Kimoto2 Kimoto5 Kimoto3 Kimoto4 Kimoto6Kimoto1

There are tons of other things to see and do… How do you spend summer in the city?

Foodie and leisure tips for summer in New York City

• Reply Julie August 18, 2016 at 3:27 am

Loved this! Loved seeing NYC through a different set of eyes…! I used to go to Jones Beach when I lived in NYC, but I’ve never been to the Transit Museum. Looks cool, I’ll have to go next time I’m in the city..!

• Reply sileas August 23, 2016 at 11:12 am

Glad you liked it! I love NY for its endless possibility to explore new things!

• Reply ourdestinationsblog August 18, 2016 at 5:40 am

I will for sure listen to your tips (and most of all number 3 😀 ) Hopefully we will make it to NYC somewhen. It is on our to-do list with so many other things/places, but I am sure that someday it will be the day.

• Reply sileas August 23, 2016 at 11:14 am

Haha I know the feeling just too well, instead making the list shorter it becomes longer and longer 😉

• Reply Paleica August 18, 2016 at 6:54 am

sieht nach wirklich tollen programmpunkten aus. ach wenn wien doch auch am meer läge! die donau ist ja nett, aber halt doch nicht dasselbe ^.^

• Reply sileas August 23, 2016 at 11:16 am

Nein leider, wobei in NY vergesse auch auch ständig wie nah das Meer doch eigentlich ist. Man sieht es zwar oft, aber es fühlt sich trotzdem anders an 😉

• Reply Anissa August 18, 2016 at 7:36 am

Stunning pictures! Have never been to NYC and did not know they have a beach! Now I want to go even more! And the food looks fantastic ❤️

• Reply sileas August 24, 2016 at 9:21 am

Oh thanks Anissa! The beaches are often overlooked in NY but the food is world-class 😉

• Reply Mitzie Mee August 18, 2016 at 11:45 am

The Brooklyn photos are from the area in Brooklyn where my friend Tina lives!! It’s almost strange that we haven’t bumped into each other previously. I’m traveling to New York in a few weeks time, but, with my usual luck, you’re probably in Bangkok or something, by then:):)

• Reply sileas August 24, 2016 at 9:26 am

Yes right?! We seem to go back and forth to the same destinations 😀 My bf used to live in Downtown Brooklyn too, so that’s why we go there a lot. Oh NY in September must be great, certainly a nicer temperature range 😉

• Reply The Tastemonials August 19, 2016 at 6:45 am

Ich war noch nie im Sommer in NYC – hatte ehrlich gesagt immer Angst for dieser schwülen Hitze dort.. Aber deine Bilder machen richtig Lust darauf mal zu dieser Jahreszeit dort abzuhängen. Zumal ich noch nie in Coney Island war.. GLG Heike

• Reply sileas August 24, 2016 at 9:28 am

Zugegeben, es gibt angenehmere Jahreszeiten, aber so hat man wenigstens eine gute Ausrede zum Relaxen 😉

• Reply Pinayskattebasse August 20, 2016 at 3:54 pm

3 simple tips! Would love to do so when I visit NY. 🙂 I didn’t know they also have nice beach! 👍🏼

• Reply sileas August 24, 2016 at 9:31 am

Yeah there’s so much to see and do that it’s nice to take it a little slower sometimes 😉

• Reply fromdreamtoplan August 20, 2016 at 5:42 pm

I want to go back to NY so badly!! It was summer too when I was there, So hot!! Thanks for sharing this, the food looks amazing and the beach sounds like an awesome thing to do besides visiting museums!
    I’ll pin this and keep it on my travel bucket list board, so I have it for next time I’ll be there! 🙂

• Reply sileas August 24, 2016 at 9:33 am

Haha thank you, I’m happy to read that!

• Reply wazwu August 21, 2016 at 1:26 am

Yes, yes, and yes! I’m personally more of a city park than a beach kind of girl, but everyone who visits NYC should follow these tips. Funny story… I once got lost in Brooklyn and accidentally wandered into the Transit Museum thinking it was a real subway station. I was so confused! 😛

• Reply sileas August 24, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Hahahaha that’s really funny! I guess the surprise was rather big 😀

• Reply Christina August 21, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Really good pieces of advice for hot summer days in the city! The NY transit museum looks really cool 🙂 haha and the red/white house on the beach reminded me sooo much of the ‘campino zuckerl’ 😀

• Reply sileas August 24, 2016 at 1:54 pm

You’re so right! I didn’t think of it before but now it totally looks like candy to me 😉

• Reply Somin Bach August 22, 2016 at 1:22 pm

ahhh your post makes me miss NY so much, especially since I’ve only been there when it was cold. I’d love to visit there in the summer (wishful thinking maybe) and I’ll keep these tips in mind. 😉

• Reply sileas August 24, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Well I haven’t been there yet in winter and I’m somewhat scared of it because I heard it gets REALLY cold there o_O

• Reply Chiara Pannozzo (@wine_and_olives) August 23, 2016 at 1:37 pm

How cool is the Kimoto Roof top? I so want to go! I’ve never been to NYC in summer, only in fall, but I’d love to experience it, especially so I could go to the beach 🙂

• Reply sileas August 24, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Fall must be a great season! It might be too cold for swimming but good enough for a walk 😉

• Reply equinoxio21 August 23, 2016 at 11:49 pm

Great (and different) post. Thank you. I love New York. 🙂

• Reply sileas August 24, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Thanks a lot! I love it too 🙂

• Reply dayinmydreams August 29, 2016 at 1:59 am

love these tips! and can you believe it… I haven’t done any of these yet! (except eat of course 😉 will have to add to my list. thanks babe https://dayinmydreams.com

• Reply sileas August 31, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Really?! That’s indeed hard to believe 😉

• Reply Julia November 6, 2016 at 8:55 am

Hi Sileas,

I really love your NY tipps! Didn’t even know that there are such nice beaches around NYC! 🙂 Definitely not the usual “What to do in NYC” list… Will keep your tipps in mind when I get (hopefully) somewhen to the big apple!

Julia

• Reply sileas November 7, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Thanks Julia, I’m SO happy to hear that!