New York City

New York City Fall Edition

November 25, 2016

Oops I did it again! I went to NYC the third time this year! Nope I’m not rich, I only got super cheap tickets each time (if you’re wondering) 😛 After spring and summer I experienced how autumn/fall is like in the Big Apple and it’s challenging all the other seasons for being my favourite. Why? Because if these cool things:

1) Halloween! Back home I don’t give a sh*t about that day but for my first Halloween in the US I couldn’t resist to join the hype: The costume stores were extremely busy just days before and I was overwhelmed by the amount of stuff you can buy… At the end I got rather simple costume for me and my bf : Cat lady and Mr Panda were ready to join the famous New York City Halloween parade!

New York City Halloween parade New York City Halloween paradeNew York City Halloween parade

We watched the big parade that takes place every year on 6th Avenue. Of course, most people put much more effort into their costumes than we did. I took dozens of photos but due to bad light conditions (and people moving fast) most of them didn’t turn out too good. Some Halloween fans took dressing up into a whole new level and here I’ll share some of my favourites…

New York City Halloween parade New York City Halloween parade New York City Halloween parade New York City Halloween parade

Marty? I really liked Doc from Back to the Future, and he definitely caught a lot of attention 🙂

New York City Halloween parade New York City Halloween parade

2) Fall foliage! As we just missed the peak colour in the Poconos, we luckily found autumn colours in its full beauty in Central Park. Although that park is always busy, it’s a must-visit at any season!

New York City Central park fall foliageNew York City Central park fall foliage

New York City Central park fall foliage

3) Food: Oh yeah, an important part of any trip! Middle-Eastern, Mexican, Thai – what’s not to love about this variety?

New York City Brooklyn Pita New York City Tacos New York City Queens Thai food

4) The city slowly starts to put on its holiday dress. When the Halloween decoration is stowed away, it’s time for X-Mas!

New York City Rockefeller Center ice skating New York City Radio City

No X-Mas decoration but still a great photo spot: The recently finished (and super expensive) railway hub at One World! The spectacular architecture of the Oculus attracts locals and visitors alike.

New York City One World Occulus New York City One World Occulus New York City One World Occulus

5) And I visited my second Broadway musical! After “The Lion King” (which is hard to beat) I loved “Aladdin” almost just as much. The New Amsterdam Theatre feels like a throwback in time btw, including the narrow and uncomfortable seating :/ But the effects on stage were A-MA-ZING and James Monroe Igleheart playing Genie is an experience on its own! Conclusion: Go, see it!

New York City Broadway New Amsterdam theater

Did you celebrate Halloween? What’s your favourite part of autumn/fall?

Halloween & fall foliage - only two of many reasons to visit New York City during autumn!

• Reply Vicky T. November 25, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Your trip to New York seems so fun and you even went to a Broadway musical!

• Reply sileas November 30, 2016 at 2:10 pm

True, it couldn’t have been any better 😉

• Reply tayonthemove November 25, 2016 at 8:08 pm

oh my goodness, fall in central park looks magical! It looks like I need to go back to see it in fall as well! Lovely photos, thanks for sharing! 🙂

• Reply sileas November 30, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Yes most definitely!! Thanks for your nice feedback 🙂

• Reply Urska - Slovenian Girl Abroad November 26, 2016 at 12:54 am

Halloween in NYC? Now I’m jealous! 🙂

• Reply sileas November 30, 2016 at 2:11 pm

LOL 😉

• Reply SueT唐 梦 琇 November 26, 2016 at 10:24 am

Aren’t your autumn (or Fall in USA) photos just beautiful. My visit to Central Park was in summer so I missed these beautiful colours. Great to see them through your lens. Thanks Julia. I love autumn both here in Australia and also in China – the colours of the leaves are just spectacular. PS I would love to see Aladdin (I saw the Lion King in Sydney] and agree it was great.

• Reply sileas November 30, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Thanks so much Sue. I think I could see Lion King over and over again. Still my favourite musical!

• Reply PinaySkattebasse November 26, 2016 at 12:06 pm

I think we’ve seen Back to the Future many times, I could imagine Doc was a head turner! haha. So envious with broadway. We are planning to see Phantom of the Opera…. plus a long list. lol

• Reply sileas November 30, 2016 at 2:21 pm

I love the movies and I thought the costume was so on point 🙂 Although a real classic, I’ve never seen the Phantom of the Opera but I’ll keep coming back to Broadway 😉

• Reply Richel V. November 26, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Oh, New York, New York. I’m so looking forward to hopefully visiting the place. The people there took effort for halloween. Wow. A+

xx, Richel Goes Places

• Reply sileas November 30, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Yes they’re quite serious about Halloween but it’s great to watch! I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you’ll visit one day 😉

• Reply Mitzie Mee November 26, 2016 at 5:19 pm

I love the photo of the city lights. i think I remember it from your Instagram account? One of my Fall favorites used to be Pumpkin Spice Latte, but this year I just find them too sweet. Maybe I’m growing up? 🙂 The guy in the Halloween costume looks really scary.

• Reply sileas November 30, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Yes you’re right 😉 Because I don’t drink coffee I never knew how Pumpkin Spice tastes like. I had it in some cereal recently for the first time and I really liked it! Yes – and some guys in the costumes were really scary. I sometimes think they’re real but only come out on Halloween night. Maybe a result of watching too many horror movies :/

• Reply markusjerko November 27, 2016 at 7:28 am

Amazing!
    Photos and the story!
    My favourite is 4!
    Ciao Markus

• Reply sileas November 30, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Thanks so much Markus! I really like no. 4 as well 😀

• Reply Hanna November 27, 2016 at 7:55 am

Some of the characters look SCARY! Halloween in New York WOW!

• Reply sileas December 3, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Indeed, they aren’t kidding! But certainly a very cool experience 😉

• Reply Paleica November 28, 2016 at 9:02 am

so viele tolle eindrücke. und das essen *.* ach je, ich will so gerne auch nach new york. mal schauen, wann das universum die stadt fürm ich bereit hält 🙂

• Reply sileas December 3, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Nachdem du dir doch einiges erfüllen konntest in letzter Zeit, stehen die Chancen nicht so schlecht oder? 😉

• Reply Paleica December 7, 2016 at 8:32 am

wenn der rücken noch etwas müdigkeitsstabiler wird würde ich sagen, wird NY ganz hoch priorisiert. aber ein bisschen geduld brauche ich noch.

• Reply skyeclass November 30, 2016 at 10:36 am

You have some amazing photos here! New York looks like a truly wonderful location for Halloween. I can’t believe I’ve never been, even though I grew up in the states. Hope to make it next year for sure!

• Reply sileas December 5, 2016 at 10:59 am

Oh then you should put it on top of your bucket list immediately 😉 Fingers crossed!!

• Reply rae tashman (@lovefromberlin) November 30, 2016 at 1:47 pm

What a lovely post! I have never celebrated Halloween in NYC but it looks like such an incredible place to celebrate. And dang, I can’t believe the Oculus is a shopping complex. The architecture is out of this world!

Rae | Love from Berlin

• Reply sileas December 5, 2016 at 11:02 am

Thank you! I never cared much about Halloween but this was quite fun. And yes – the Oculus is seriously impressive!

• Reply Sofia November 30, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Oh gosh I would loooove to experience a Halloween in New York! Lucky you got up to so much fun things there! xx

• Reply sileas December 5, 2016 at 11:03 am

Haha indeed. It’s been quite a lucky year for me 🙂

• Reply Julie December 1, 2016 at 9:59 am

Third time! Awesome! I’m so lazy when I go back home now because it’s NYC, but then… I just want to go home and be lazy… I did make it down to the Occulus this time as my dad wanted to show it to us. It’s a gorgeous place, but I feel like its wrong to have a mall there………………………..

• Reply sileas December 5, 2016 at 11:06 am

Yeah I understand that not everyone is happy about the mall… I think when you’re home it’s absolutely legit to be lazy – I’m the same!

• Reply wazwu December 5, 2016 at 12:46 am

You visited at the perfect time of year, and your photos are definitely making me miss NYC! I’ve actually never been to the Halloween parade as I’m usually doing some very last minute work on my costume then, haha. Looks like fun! And Central Park is gorgeous as always. 🙂

• Reply sileas December 7, 2016 at 2:06 pm

I’m curious, what were u dressing up as? I kept it really simple, haha.

• Reply wazwu December 9, 2016 at 1:00 am

Do you watch Game of Thrones? This year, I was Daenerys Targaryen. Here’s a pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMPpUDzAmV2

My back up costume for when I’m lazy or when my DIY doesn’t work out is always a cat, haha. 😉

• Reply sileas December 10, 2016 at 10:05 am

I didn’t follow GoT too much but I know some of the characters. You look amazing!

• wazwu December 10, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Thanks!

• wazwu December 12, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Thank you!

• Reply Anna December 5, 2016 at 9:24 am

Ein wirklich toller Beitrag über New York! Deine Fotos haben direkt wieder das Fernweh geweckt und das obwohl ich erst dieses Jahr in New York war… 😉

Herzlich,
    Anna

• Reply sileas December 7, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Vielen Dank! Hach, das ist so eine tolle Stadt, die man einfach nicht oft genug besuchen kann 😉

• Reply Marissa_Travel Greece, Travel Europe December 5, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Nice photos from my hometown! I miss Halloweens in the States. You got some great shots there. Central Park is always stunning in the fall. I think it is one of the best seasons to go.

• Reply sileas December 7, 2016 at 2:10 pm

It was great, I loved it! To see Halloween in the US certainly was a special experience!