Eat & Drink Vienna

Eating Japanese in Vienna Pt. 2

December 2, 2016
Japanese food Vienna

It seems like Japanese food is becoming very popular in Vienna these days: A lot has changed since my last article and people started realizing that Japanese cuisine doesn’t equally mean sushi only. In fact, the places which have opened recently focus on other classics like Onigiri or Udon – and therefore are a welcome change to the existing restaurant scene.

Mari’s Metcha Matcha

The relocation of this tea house to the 7th district was a huge success: The interior is a lovely mix of traditional and modern Japanese styles and the menu got a nice upgrade. The artsy shop/café concept remained. Whether you only want a snack that goes with your tea or fancy something warm and hearty, you’ll find it there. The love for detail also reflects in the food – and as you’d expect it for such a place, they have a nice selection of desserts too. – http://www.metchamatcha.at/

Japanese restaurant Vienna Japanese restaurant Vienna

Kuishimbo

This tiny hole-in-the wall eatery (inside one of the most beautiful Art Nouveau buildings btw) exists since a few years now and has developed into a popular anchor at the busy Naschmarkt, especially for those who are seeking authentic Japanese food in a casual setting. The menu is on the wall, seating is scarce and sometimes two or three chefs work behind the counter at the tiniest space – Japanese efficiency at its best! Considering the size of the kitchen, the menu is even more remarkable: From Donburi, Takoyaki, Udon and Soba – they offer all kinds of comfort food. – Linke Wienzeile 40, 1060 Vienna

Japanese restaurant Vienna Japanese restaurant Vienna Japanese restaurant Vienna Japanese restaurant Vienna

Kuro Udon Restaurant & Bar

Yes, there’s more Udon! Actually it’s a new restaurant that has dedicated itself to the popular Japanese noodle soup, which is the first (and so far only) of its kind in Vienna. Sure, there’s Udon at many other places too, but as their Udon is home-made, I suppose they know what they’re doing. We started off with some appetizers before we indulged in our Udon bowls and finished the nice evening with some Umeshu. The Japanese style seating area is a great bonus as well as their interesting drink menu, including sake and shoju. – https://www.facebook.com/kurovienna/

Do you like Japanese restaurants? Which is your favourite in your town/city?

A list of new and established authentic Japanese restaurants in Vienna, recommended by a local

• Reply The Wayfarer December 2, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Ooooh, udon is my favorite <3 I can't believe I didn't check out Kuishimbo, I stayed across the street from that building when I was in Vienna! But it was over Christmas, so maybe it was closed (or not open yet).

• Reply kmkucharski December 3, 2016 at 3:20 am

Kuro wasn’t open yet when I was there – will have to try it next year! Japanese cuisine is one of my favorites!

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Mine too! I’m so happy that the restaurant scene is becoming so diverse 🙂

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Oh that’s a nice location to stay at 🙂 It’s so small that it can be overlooked easily… Next time 😉

• Reply SueT唐 梦 琇 December 3, 2016 at 9:01 am

I don’t love the food, bring a vegetarian I find there is not a huge amount of just vegetables dish but reading about udon maybe I am wrong. (I don’t like vego sushi either) but I do love your photos of the inside of the restaurants. (Aren’t the restaurants and table settings just so gorgeous) And I do recall that you are a fan of Japanese food so glad you enjoyed.

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 6:02 pm

I’m always grateful for your honest feedback 🙂 It’s a pity that most Japanese restaurants are very meat or seafood heavy, because there are excellent vegetable dishes I’m sure you’d enjoy!

• Reply Mitzie Mee December 3, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I love Japanese food. If I were only to eat one kind of food for the rest of my life, it would be Japanese! I think I’ve said it before, but you’re so lucky with all the nice Japanese restaurants in Vienna. Those udon bowls look so good! Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of nice Japanese restaurants in Dubai, but at least it gives me an excuse to travel to Japan more often:)

• Reply Hanna December 4, 2016 at 8:51 am

There is a Japanese place opening in Festival City Mall. I went accidentally in last week, they are not open yet, but it should open in December. Motomachi. Let´s go together? If they do not open on time, we fly to Vienna afterJapanese food !?

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 6:07 pm

That’s a great idea! It would be the ultimate food tour 😉

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Couple of years ago the restaurant situation was rather sad, so that has improved a lot! Haha, I also thought about what kind of food I could live with for the rest of my life and I couldn’t decide… It’s either Austrian/Traditional, Thai or Korean. But Japanese and Italian are so good too 😛

• Reply Vy from VYLYST December 3, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Wow, the cherry blossom wall decoration is so cute!

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 6:08 pm

It’s one of my favourite buildings here 🙂

• Reply Blueberry Stories December 3, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Wonderful pictures, as always. I’m fascinated by Japanese restaurants with their relaxed, peaceful (I should say “zen”) atmosphere. I’m not a big fan of sushi but I really like udon, so I’m sure I would love these places 🙂

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Thank you! Japanese restaurants certainly do a good job with their interior design 😀

• Reply Hanna December 4, 2016 at 8:48 am

Now I know what to do when visiting Vienna next time. I am great fan of Sacher, but before heading to the sweet stuff I would definitely need to stop in one of these places. Really nice photos you have.

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Thanks Hanna! Oh it’s hard to resist the cakes and sweets in Vienna 🙂 That reminds me that I haven’t had a Sacher cake for ages, hmmm…

• Reply wazwu December 5, 2016 at 12:41 am

Love Japanese food, and you captured these places so well. I think the combination of the actual food, the presentation in all the little bowls, and the wooden interior of most Japanese spots is what makes it one of my favorite types of cuisine. Udon noodles in the wintertime sounds perfect to me. You’ve got me craving some udon!

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 6:30 pm

You said it, the combination of so many factors make it so enjoyable. It’s not only good in your mouth but also for your eyes 🙂

• Reply Tiffany. Yang December 5, 2016 at 12:48 am

Japanese is my favourite cuisine of all times! Specially Udon bowl, looks a perfect dish for Winter! Yum.

Tiffany x

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I agree, there’s hardly anything better than a hot noodle soup on a cold winter day 🙂

• Reply Julie December 5, 2016 at 10:00 am

Maybe I am biased, but Japanese is definitely my favorite of Asian cuisines… Mm, udon. Yummy!

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 6:37 pm

It’s totally fine to be biased, hehe

• Reply Christina December 5, 2016 at 6:57 pm

this place looks amazing!!! 🙂 thanks for sharing 😉

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 6:45 pm

You should check them out when you’re back 😉

• Reply Paleica December 7, 2016 at 9:22 am

ich bin viel zu wenig in dieser szene unterwegs. schade eigentlihc, das sieht alles total lecker aus. ich könnte mich gar nicht entscheiden ^.^

• Reply Paleica December 7, 2016 at 10:36 am

achja, PS: das neue theme ist super gelungen! mag ich total gern!

• Reply sileas December 12, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Dankeschön 🙂 Man kann halt leider nicht überall sein bzw. alles kennen, gerade deswegen sind Blogs ja so nützlich(^ω^)

• Reply Eden December 7, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Your photos are making me so hungry! I haven’t had Japanese food in awhile and now I have a serious craving. I love the new look of your website by the way 🙂

• Reply sileas December 14, 2016 at 7:19 pm

• Reply Millie December 8, 2016 at 1:23 pm

What a gorgeous collection of restaurants. I know shamefully little about Japanese food other than Sushi – are there generally many vegetarian options?

• Reply sileas December 14, 2016 at 7:25 pm

For example, I love their tofu and vegetable dishes! All Japanese restaurants I know have at least a couple of vegetarian options and I think as the demand is getting higher, the situation for vegetarians is getting better 🙂

• Reply tayonthemove December 16, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Oh, yum everything looks delicious and im in love with the seating area too!!

• Reply sileas December 18, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Oh yeah that was really lovely!

• Reply tattw January 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Mmhh, das sieht alles wirklich superlecker aus! In meiner Stadt ist die japanische Küche leider noch nicht so angekommen, außer Sushirestaurants sucht man hier vergeblich nach gutem japanischem Essen… Daher versuche ich mich selbst und perfektioniere gerade meine Udon Suppe mit Rindfleisch und selbstgekochter Dashi 😉
    Aber falls ich mal wieder nach Wien komme, werde ich mir deine Tipps auf alle Fälle nochmal genauer ansehen!

LG, Julia

• Reply sileas January 12, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Echt, selbst gemachte Dashi?! Jetzt bin ich aber beeindruckt – wow!

• Reply tattw January 12, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Ja, aber so schwer ist das eigentlich gar nicht! 😉 Man braucht halt nur die richtigen Zutaten und ein bißchen Geduld!