Destinations General

2016 – A travel year through Instagram

December 31, 2016
Instagram travel inspiration

When it comes to general world wide events, 2016 might not have been a very positive year. Our lives are more than ever influenced by unpredictable events, may it be terror, political turmoils or natural disasters. And while I feel blessed to live in a very safe and free country, it’s inevitable how those events are affecting our everyday lives at home but also our ways of travel. Despite all the negative outlooks carried out by the media, let’s try to stay positive! The end of the year gives me a good opportunity to review my personal 2016, which has been quite an exciting travel year again. I got to visit a lot of new places but also revisited some “old” ones… When I scrolled through my Instagram feed, I recalled some amazing travel memories which I’d like to share with you here 🙂 Happy new year peeps, I hope it’s going to be a fantastic one for you!

It became kind of a tradition that I spent the New Year in Thailand, my all-time-favourite travel destination ❤︎ I found my perfect beach getaways on Phuket and Koh Yao Yai 😀

But winter soon had me back during a fun weekend snowboarding in Obertauern

A perfect #snowboarding day comes to an end 😍 #obertauern #blueskies #igersviennaontour

A photo posted by Julia Joe*** (@sileas.j) on

One of the city highlights in 2016 was Budapest with its great culinary scene and stunning attractions!

#goodbye #budapest 👋 #travel #hungary #igersviennaontour #wanderlust

A photo posted by Julia Joe*** (@sileas.j) on

Most likely my most extraordinary destination of 2016 was Bermuda (part 1 and part 2) and I’m still dreaming of their amazing waters…

Going to Italy at least once a year is an important part of my travel planning. This time my friend and I discovered Trieste and its beautiful fairy-tale castles.

Also Austria has too many beautiful places I don’t know yet. One of them was the unspoiled nature of the National Park Gesäuse.

And not far from Vienna, the Semmering offers great hiking possibilities!

Delicious seafood and some American history made a visit to Boston more than worthwhile….

Did I mention the seafood before? Pair that with endless beaches and some hippie vibes and you’ll find yourself on Cape Cod!

My personal highlight regarding culinary travels: A lovely weekend in the wineries of Mittelburgenland!

Oh Barcelona, it’s always a pleasure 😉

The weather god was in a good mood when we explored some as Switzerland’s gems like Lucerne and Zurich 🙂

A business trip turned into pleasure in that charming part of Austria, the Bregenzerwald

And suddenly it was autumn! I got to experience the famous fall foliage of the Pocono Mountains, lucky me 🙂

But 2016 certainly was dedicated to New York City! I made it there incredibly 3 times this year and you’re more to than welcome to browse my New York City posts 😉

Also during the current Christmas holidays I’m hitting the roads and skies: From the grand alpine town of Bad Gastein…

…to this scene I took today in the capital of Tunisia, Tunis! Yes, that’s where I’ll be spending today’s New Year’s Eve! In that sense, have a great one and hopefully see you here again in 2017 😀

I hope you enjoyed this little round-up! Thank you for supporting me to keep this blog alive 😉

My travel year 2016 as a roundup with my favourite Instagram pics. Get inspired for the new year!

• Reply kmkucharski December 31, 2016 at 2:11 pm

What a wonderful travel year you had – Happy New Year and may 2017 be joyous and full of new adventures for you!

• Reply sileas January 8, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Thank you so much! Wishing you all the best for 2017 too!

• Reply wazwu December 31, 2016 at 10:08 pm

2016 was definitely a rough year, but it’s wonderful to some of the beauty of the world in your photos. May your 2017 be happy, healthy, and filled with more travel adventures!

• Reply sileas January 8, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Let’s hope the best for 2017, globally and personally for all of us 🙂 Thank you Waz!

• Reply PinaySkattebasse January 2, 2017 at 12:08 am

May you have more travels this year Julia. 🙂 Your 2016 travelgram looks amazin! 🙂

• Reply sileas January 8, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Thanks Angela! May 2017 become a great travel year for all of us 😉

• Reply tayonthemove January 2, 2017 at 11:58 pm

Beautiful photos, glad you had an eventful year. Happy new year, may this year be full of blessings and more adventures for you! 🙂

• Reply sileas January 8, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Thank you for your kind wishes Tay! I’m looking forward to seeing more of your travels and DIY’s!

• Reply tayonthemove January 9, 2017 at 6:25 pm

You’re welcome! Yes, can’t wait to see what the new year brings! 🙂

• Reply Mitzie Mee January 3, 2017 at 6:14 pm

I still think it’s really funny how we were visiting a lot of the same places with only weeks in between in 2016:) I hope we manage to be in the same city at the same time in 2017:)
    I really liked Koh Yao Yai. Hope to be able to go back this year. You don’t happen to be in new York later this month?

• Reply sileas January 8, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Haha yeah, it’s definitely time to meet up somewhere! New York isn’t on the radar for the coming weeks, I’m looking into Thailand in March but nothing is set yet 😉

• Reply Christina January 5, 2017 at 8:03 pm

According to your instagram feed it looks like you had a great (travel) year in 2016! I hope you’ll manage to travel to as many great destinations in 2017!! 🙂

• Reply sileas January 8, 2017 at 6:17 pm

I’m sure you will 😉 I was curiously following your adventures in Russia, which I really enjoyed because I knew so little about that country!

• Reply rae tashman (@lovefromberlin) January 6, 2017 at 11:53 am

I am always so impressed at the amazing and incredible journeys that you have been on! These photos are lovely.

Rae | Love from Berlin

• Reply sileas January 8, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Thanks Rae, I’m flattered 🙂

• Reply Paleica January 6, 2017 at 5:16 pm

wow, das war alles im letzten jahr?? du bist ja wirklich ganz schön weit herumgekommen, wow. solche rückblicke sind immer toll, wenn man so zusammengefasst sieht, was das jahr dann letztendlich ausgemacht hat. und was den medialen negativen 2016-hype betrifft… ich glaube, die medien spielen vieles auch hoch. ob absolut gesehen wirklich “mehr” passiert ist als 2015? ich glaubs fast nicht…

• Reply sileas January 8, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Das kann natürlich sein, vielleicht sind mir die negativen Schlagzeilen letztes Jahr einfach mehr aufgefallen als sonst… Jedenfalls war ich auch ziemlich erstaunt wieviel ich eigentlich rumgekommen bin! Solche Rückblicke machen das einem erst so richtig bewusst 😉

• Reply Hanna January 7, 2017 at 4:16 am

Amazing travel year! Really love your photos. Looking forward to see your 2017 photos. I did not go to any new places last year, did some travel, but much much less than we usually do- Need to do something about that 😉

• Reply sileas January 8, 2017 at 8:17 pm

I actually think it’s a nice and familiar feeling to revisit places… I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this year will be filled with new destinations for you 😉

• Reply Sofia January 8, 2017 at 2:10 pm

What an amazing year you had! Cheers to another fantastic year!

• Reply sileas January 8, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Thanks Sofia! Cheers to 2017!

• Reply Miyang January 13, 2017 at 10:02 am

I need to follow you.there I can great photos you’ve taken 😀

• Reply sileas January 13, 2017 at 10:17 am

Haha, thank you so much Miyang 😉

• Reply equinoxio21 January 14, 2017 at 12:58 am

My, my, you have been busy. 🙂
    I wish you many travels this year.
    Be good.
    B.

• Reply sileas January 15, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Yeah but luckily it didn’t feel busy at all 🙂 Thanks!

• Reply Joy Generoso January 19, 2017 at 7:04 pm

You surely had an amazing travels in 2016. Your IG feed is awesome! We’ve been to Budapest last summer too and I must say the city is remarkable. Cheers to 2017 and wishing you good health to explore all the places you want to visit. 🙂

• Reply sileas January 20, 2017 at 10:59 am

Cheers to 2017, Joy! Thank you for your wishes – may the new year be filled with great adventures for both of us 🙂

• Reply The Wanderliste January 20, 2017 at 5:27 pm

What a wonderful year of fun and travels! I grew up in Thailand so it’s always a delight to go back especially visit Phuket and Koh Samui. Thanks for the lovely share gosh the architecture in Barcelona is amazing! xo~ Lena

• Reply sileas April 19, 2017 at 1:08 pm