Africa Destinations

Highlights of Northern Tunisia

February 5, 2017
what to see near Tunis

What to see near Tunis or (Northern) Tunisia: It’s a country full of colours and contrasts: The white facades, the blue sky, ocean and doors, green farmlands and the red of the tomatoes and Harissa (chili paste) found in Tunisian food create a wide-ranged palette. It got even more colourful when we left Tunis to explore some smaller towns, the countryside and the Mediterranean Sea. We arrived in our buddy’s hometown, Menzel Bourguiba, and were greeted incredibly warm by his family and friends. Hardly any tourists find their way to that little industrial town, therefore we weren’t only welcomed like special guests by the friendly locals but also got to experience their way of life. We ate homemade couscous and drank lots of mint tea in the cafés, which still is dominated by men only.

Menzel BourguibaCafé Ajili, our buddy’s regular haunt: The men love to play cards, smoke or to sit outside, watch people and discuss life. A lot of coffee and mint tea is flowing but no booze.

Menzel Bourguiba

As we were driving to Bizerte I was quite surprised to see such green landscapes in Tunisia. Apparently the land is very fertile and nearby Lake Ichkeul is one of the country’s most important national parks.

Lac Ichkeul Lac Ichkeul Lac IchkeulA lot more is going on in Bizerte, where you’ll find everything you’d expect from a seaside town: A pretty harbour, a palm-fringed promenade and a thriving fish market, where you can get the freshest catch for a delicious lunch.

Bizerte BizerteBizerte

Bizerte

And of course we had to stop for some ocean views on that sunny New Year’s Eve day 😉

Bizerte

We thought it couldn’t get much better, but then we arrived in Sidi Bou Said, a fancy suburb of Tunis – a postcard-perfectly manicured village where tangerines just grow on the street and photographers will find one photogenic spot after another. Popular among artists and visitors alike, this picturesque place is a must-see!

Sidi Bou Said

Sidi Bou Said

I love any Mediterranean cuisine and Tunisian food was no exception. The couscous was superb!

Tunisian food Tunisian foodIt was a sunny and warm day and we headed to THE spot for a coffee/tea break in Sidi Bou Said. Omg, Café des Delices was breathtaking: Sitting on one of the terraces, overlooking the port and the sea and soaking up the sun was my personal highlight of the entire trip. The drinks are way above Tunisian average prices but we happily paid for that amazing view… This place will be remembered as one of the prettiest cafés I’ve ever been to ❤️

Sidi Bou Said

Sidi Bou SaidSidi Bou Said

It’s been only 4 days in Tunisia but we got to see a lot of different faces and colours of that fascinating country!

• Reply Paleica February 6, 2017 at 8:15 am

das foto von euch beiden ist der hammer. aber auch sonst, ganz tolle eindrücke von tunesien, die man sonst nicht zu gesicht bekommt. ein toller post, der mich euch um diesen trip beneiden lässt. ich könnte mir vorstellen, grade ein land wie dieses bereist sich besser, wenn man locals kennt.

• Reply sileas February 13, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Dankeschön <3 Einen Ortskundigen zu haben ist immer Gold wert! Wir hätten sonst vieles nicht mitbekommen...

• Reply markusjerko February 6, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Wonderful photos!
    All this blue and white is so pretty, looks very much like Santorini!
    Ciao Markus

• Reply sileas February 13, 2017 at 1:01 pm

You’re right, it does look like Santorini! Luckily with less tourists 😉

• Reply annie lee February 6, 2017 at 4:09 pm

so much shades of blueeeeeeeee. and i too would totally pay extra for that view hehe 🙂 thanks for sharing these photos. it was so healing!

• Reply sileas February 13, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Thanks so much Annie! During those grey winter days going through the photos was kind of healing for me too 🙂

• Reply SueT唐 梦 琇 February 7, 2017 at 4:10 am

Love this post. What a magnificent place to visit. I love the thought of proper cous cous and mint tea. And as for that scenery…absolutely stunning. I love that blue colour especially the vibrant bright blue door. Gorgeous!!!

• Reply sileas February 13, 2017 at 1:08 pm

There were so many pretty doors, I stopped taking photos of them at some point 😛

• Reply The Wanderliste February 7, 2017 at 5:57 am

The food, the blue waters, the minimalistic lifestyle there, I would love to visit one day and just be in the presence of all that goodness!! Thanks for sharing this! 🙂 xo~ Lena

• Reply sileas February 13, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Aww thanks Lena for your lovely comment! It certainly was a nice change to my everyday grind 😉

• Reply Miyang February 7, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Great place to unwind 😊

• Reply sileas February 13, 2017 at 1:16 pm

It really is 🙂

• Reply Christina February 7, 2017 at 1:15 pm

wow, everything looks so amazing! it is great that you got to see the country from an insider’s perspective! the food looks so delicious and I am getting really hungry now… thanks a lot 😛 oh and I also never thought that Tunisia is so green! thanks for sharing 🙂

• Reply sileas February 13, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Yeah the green scenery was totally unexpected! For a moment I thought I’m in Ireland or so 😀

• Reply PinaySkattebasse February 7, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Ok, I thought there were similarities to Santorini? As always lovely photos. And did you eat those small grilled fish?? Yum! So mouthwatering for a seafood lover like me. I hope you jived with the boys with your tea. 🙂 Any reason why it’s dominated by men? It could have been fun if it’s families…

• Reply sileas February 13, 2017 at 2:24 pm

It’s a cultural thing that mostly men hang around at the cafés. I think the girls do their own thing, but in bigger cities like Tunis, it’s more mixed. However they were very friendly and I didn’t feel uncomfortable. Oh yes – the grilled fish was a feast!!

• Reply Hanna February 8, 2017 at 6:11 pm

White facades and blue, blue, blue. Some of the pics are reminding me Game of Thrones scenes 😉 Breathtaking!

• Reply sileas February 13, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Oh yeah, it definitely could be a movie set too 😉

• Reply Chiara Pannozzo (@wine_and_olives) February 9, 2017 at 2:29 pm

I had no idea that Tunisia was so beautiful. The colours are just beautiful.It’s been winter in Scotland for so long that I’ve forgotten what blue skies look like. Roll on summer x

• Reply sileas February 13, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Haha, I feel the same… It’s been miserable here in Vienna too! I’m so ready for spring and summer 😉

• Reply wazwu February 10, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Wow, you’re right! The colors, especially the blues, of Tunisia do seem much more vivid. Looks like you guys really enjoyed the picturesque scenery and some great local eats. Mmm, couscous!

• Reply sileas February 13, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Oh yes, I was quite amazed by the change of scenery within such a short flight!

• Reply Marissa_Travel Greece, Travel Europe February 13, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Oh, wow. Absolutely love your photography here. I feel like I walked in Tunisia with you. Those doors! That food! Nice post.

• Reply sileas February 15, 2017 at 2:05 pm