Eat & Drink Vienna

The Vienna coffeehouse guide Pt. 1

February 17, 2017
Vienna coffeehouse guide

Winter in Vienna: There’s hardly snow but lots of grey clouds. It’s usually cold and quite depressing. People prefer to stay in during this season and if they’re getting tired of their own homes, they escape to their “extended lounge” – that’s what a Viennese coffeehouse is called here. Once entered, it becomes pretty clear why: The Viennese café is the opposite of rush and rapidness. It’s a place to unwind, to chat with friends, to read the newspaper and to forget about time. It’s a place full with tradition, history, yet timeless. You won’t find any cold-brew-hipster coffees, but lots of inspiration, charm and pastry. Oh the pastry! If you’re having a sweet tooth like me, you’ll be in heaven! Luckily my friend Marion from marestella.me helped me out by sharing the calories and now I’m going to show you the result of our coffeehouse tour 😉

Café Central

Let’s start with one of the most famous ones: Yes, Café Central is frequented by lots of tourists and sometimes you have to line up to get a table. But the reason why I have this on the list is the unique architecture and their amazing cake assortment. The prices are a bit higher than in other cafés but it’s unlikely you’ll find a classier place to enjoy your melange (typical Viennese coffee with milk foam). Emperor Franz Josef and Empress Sisi are joining too (as paintings though). However, the frequency of guests is very high, so it’s not too inviting to stay there for hours… – https://www.cafecentral.wien/en/

Cafe Central

Cafe Central WienCafe Central Wien

Café Hawelka

Spending hours and loosing track of time is most likely to happen at this place: Café Hawelka. It’s cozy, dark and the audience is way more mixed than at Central – besides of a few tourists you may also meet some original (I don’t wanna say weird) characters, especially during the later hours. A famous Austrian song sings about “a nude at the Hawelka”, but as far as I know it’s not based on a true stoy, however it resembles some interesting things that could’ve taken place there over time. Just as legendary as the café itself were the owners who run it literally until their end of days (and one of them became 100 years old!) and until today, it’s still family-operated. They know how to keep traditions: Their famous, homemade “Buchtln” – a kind of yeast dough filled with plum jam – are served freshly everyday at 8 pm like they’ve done for decades! – http://www.hawelka.at/cafe/de/

Cafe Hawelka Wien Cafe Hawelka Wien Cafe Hawelka Wien Cafe Hawelka Wien Cafe Hawelka WienCafe Hawelka

Café Sperl

A little off the beaten path, nevertheless in the city centre is Café Sperl, another Viennese jewel inside a beautiful building with classy interior. It’s wonderfully quiet and they offer a slightly wider menu than other places. We had a classic Viennese dish and of course some curd cheese cake topped with lots of vanilla sauce… We just can’t leave a coffeehouse without having dessert 🙂 And while you’re waiting for your food, it’s easy to kill some time with plenty of magazines. Caution: Another place that invites you to stay longer than planned 😉 – http://www.cafesperl.at/html/CSkap1.html

Cafe Sperl Wien

Cafe Sperl

Exploring the coffeehouses of Vienna is a fun mission and of course, there are many, many more places that need to be mentioned… We’ve actually started our “research” for part 2 and I can’t wait to share it with you soon 😉 Stay tuned! What is your favourite coffeehouse? Let me know in the comments!

The café culture in Vienna is something that shouldn't be missed! Find your favourite spot at one of the cozy coffeehouses listed here!

• Reply equinoxio21 February 17, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Made me hungry. 🙂 How do you maintain your weight in a city like that? 😉

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 2:17 pm

I guess I’m a lucky exception… Sweet temptations wait around every corner here 😉

• Reply equinoxio21 February 23, 2017 at 2:37 am

Yes I can see that. I have this idea of Vienna’s “cafés” that adds to the possible charm of the city. Have to visit one day. Cheers.

• Reply sileas February 26, 2017 at 7:38 pm

It definitely does!

• equinoxio21 March 2, 2017 at 11:50 pm

Hard to keep one’s figure then? 😉

• Reply SueT唐 梦 琇 February 18, 2017 at 1:47 am

These are such beautiful coffee shops. Wow. Love the first one. So different from the local cafe here in Canberra Julia.

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 2:19 pm

I admit, the Viennese coffeehouse culture is something very unique. Often imitated but never equalled 🙂

• Reply kmkucharski February 18, 2017 at 2:35 am

My favorite is Cafe Schwarzenberg – I went there with my friend Gogi the first time I went to Vienna when I was 24 and last October again!

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 2:21 pm

I think I have to check it out soon, I’ve never been inside that café! I’m glad you always seem to have a nice time in Vienna!

• Reply The Wayfarer February 18, 2017 at 3:55 am

I also wonder how I’d fare in Vienna… I ate so much cake when I was there for only 3 days! Maybe the coffee helps balance things out.

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Haha, coffee and cake always is a great combination. As long as you’re not on a diet 😛

• Reply Tiffany. Yang February 18, 2017 at 4:04 pm

oh reading this post makes me wanna visit Vienna so bad. I love the interior of Café Sperl especially, and the food looks amazing too! 🙂

Tiffany x

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Oh I’m sure you’d enjoy it a lot 😉 It’s paradise for any coffee lover!

• Reply barryaday February 18, 2017 at 11:46 pm

Cafe Central in Wien is spectacular not only for the coffee but also certainly the pasties. In Brno, Czech Republic, Kafec serves exceptional coffee from around the world. They also have super waffles! In Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Vasile sells only coffee and tea. Each cup is individually hand crafted. At about 2.5€ it is likely the most expensive in Cluj but it is worth it!

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 2:36 pm

That sounds amazing! I’ll certainly note down the place in Brno as I’ll be there this weekend (thanks to your announcement looking for bloggers 😉 ) Thanks again for sharing your tips!!

• Reply barryaday February 22, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Yes, I heard you were going to be in Brno. Both coffee shops are near where you will stay. I will be in London. Have a nice weekend.

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Oh too bad, I thought I owe you one coffee at least 😉 Thank you, enjoy London!

• Reply annie lee February 20, 2017 at 5:13 am

oh i remember Café Sperl from your ig 🙂 hehe how is it that all the cafes are so beautiful?!!

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 2:39 pm

I guess we’re pretty spoiled with cafés here. However I always admire the hip places you find in BKK, Annie 😉

• Reply Paleica February 20, 2017 at 9:38 am

bin schon gespannt, welche kaffeehäuser ihren weg in den zweiten teil finden 🙂 bei mir wechselt es oft. früher war es – aus kindheitserinnerungen – das café griensteidl. momentan is mein favourite place to be das café museum. das landtmann ist halt ein all time klassiker und das frauenhuber finde ich auch nett. ich hab eigentlich mal sowas wie eine kaiserschmarrentour geplant, aber mir fehlt immer die konsequenz für solche aktionen, um sie dann sinnvoll zu verbloggen ^.^

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Die Vorbereitungen für Teil 2 sind in vollem Gange 😉 Aber bei der Auswahl wird es wohl nicht bei 2 Teilen bleiben… Das Griensteidl mag ich auch ganz gern. Das Frauenhuber sagt mir vorerst nichts – da muss ich gleich mal nachschauen!

• Reply Paleica February 22, 2017 at 4:48 pm

🙂 es ist ja wirklich unerschöpflich, gell!

• Reply Paleica February 20, 2017 at 9:38 am

ach, und das hawelka. da habe ich früher einige samstag abende mit freundinnen verbracht. schon schön, diese orte, an denen man manchmal das gefühl hat, raum und zeit stehen still.

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Ich muss zugeben, im Hawelka war ich zum ersten Mal für diesen Beitrag. Und ich frage mich warum ich so lange gewartet habe…

• Reply markusjerko February 20, 2017 at 11:41 am

Tolle Selektion!
    Mit den vielen super schönen Fotos und deinen Beschreibungen macht’s voll Appetit 🙂
    Essen gehen ist ein Hobby von mir, daher hab ich auch schon viele Lieblingslokale.
    Meine Favourites hab ich auf meiner Site gesammelt, vielleicht ist da auch Inspiration für dich dabei: http://www.markusjerko.at/lokaltipps/
    (Kategorie Brunch & Frühstück)
    Buon appetito!
    Ciao Markus

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Hallo Markus, danke für deine Tipps! Ich hab mich mal so durchgeklickt und da sind echt ein paar tolle Lokale dabei, die ich gleich mal auf die Liste setzen werde 😉

• Reply Blueberry Stories February 20, 2017 at 5:48 pm

This post is so helpful! And now I just want a piece of cake and a cup of coffee, possibly in Vienna 🙂

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Maybe you should include Vienna in your next travel plans 😉

• Reply Christina February 21, 2017 at 2:18 pm

great picks and very traditional ones too, love it! So far I have only been to the Café Sperl but I have walked past all the others numerous times and will definitely go inside at one point 😉 my favourite though is the Frauenhuber – probably because of the typical old and very charming waiter that served us delicious Sachertorte! 🙂

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Ok you’re the second who mentioned the Frauenhuber here, so I must check it out 😉 I love how those cafés keep their traditions!

• Reply Christina February 22, 2017 at 4:27 pm

You must! 🙂 yes I like it too! And I like it that it’s a place for the old as well as the young ones.

• Reply PinaySkattebasse February 22, 2017 at 10:56 am

I love spending time in cafés sipping coffees and indulging in sweets! It’s so relaxing. This is a great post for people visiting Vienna! 🙂

• Reply sileas February 22, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Me too! (Although I prefer tea). I hope that was somewhat useful for those who wanted to know more about Vienna 😉

• Reply Mitzie Mee February 26, 2017 at 2:59 pm

They all look so nice and stylish! Would like to visit them all someday. In Denmark most cafes are more casual, and in Dubai everyone seems to have joined the urban/industrial style for the interior, which is nice, but which means that a lot of the places all look the same:)

• Reply sileas February 26, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Oh those hipster cafés… They’re cool but when it comes to charm nothing can beat a good, old Viennese coffeehouse 😉

• Reply Hanna March 1, 2017 at 1:14 pm

So charming places! I remember few years ago I was in Vienna hunting Sachertorte. It is the best pastry I know.

• Reply sileas March 1, 2017 at 1:35 pm