Destinations General

Planning tips for your (long) term travels Pt. III: Packing list

February 26, 2017
travel packing tips

After I’ve talked about general precautions and my travel budget, it’s time to continue with some packing advice in my travel tip series: Whether I go for a weekend, two weeks or several months – my philosophy has always been to go as light as possible! And after all, it doesn’t make much of a difference. When I traveled for 7 months around the world I carried actually the same weight like I’d do for a two-week vacation. Way more important than how much you’re taking is actually what you’re taking: The secret is multi-functionality and layering: For instance: I could wear the same clothes for different climates. I had one pair of trekking shoes which didn’t look too sporty or casual and suit adventure and city trips alike. If you’re ready to reduce your needs to the basics it’s possible to travel for several months without carrying like a donkey. That way I managed to fit all my luggage in a 50-litre backpack! Shall we have a look at the content?

Clothes:

Luckily there are some great materials for us travelers. Especially underwear and socks should be made of quick drying fabrics, so you can wash them on the go!

-4 pairs of underwear
-3 pairs of socks
-1 pair of jeans
-2 light long pants (made e.g. of linen)
-2 pairs of shorts
-1 (mini) skirt
-1 bikini
-1 summer dress
-1 pair of tights
-1 light rain jacket
-1 fleece jacket
-1 cardigan
-2 T-shirts
-1 long sleeve shirt
-1 cap
-1 scarf

I stocked up on a super-lightweight winter jacket, some tights, gloves and hoods when I traveled to colder regions…

Shoes:

-1 pair of trekking shoes
-1 pair of flip flops

Other items:

-sarong (every traveler should have one: great as a beach towel, blanket, dress and more)
-small towel
-sleeping bag liner
-medical kit
-flashlight
-sunglasses
-toiletry bag
-earplugs (very important!)
-a smaller backpack or handbag as cabin luggage and for day trips

Devices:

-laptop or tablet (easier to book flights, rooms and for blogging of course ;))
-camera
-chargers
-mobile phone

Optional:

-beauty case (as small as possible of course!)
-e-book reader (I took it but I actually never used it)
-pepper spray (as a female solo traveler I had one, however not every country will allow you to bring it in. My bag got seized and they took it)
-guide books
-diary, pens

Final tips:

-Take a few plastic and fabric bags for dirty laundry, to protect your gadgets or simply to divide the content into smaller units
-Of course you might wanna bring some souvenirs from each country you’ve been to. I tried to resist any shopping frenzy, but to be honest – that didn’t always work. In that case I shipped a few items back home 😉

Do you think this packing list is complete or is there missing anything? Let me know in the comments!

In fact we all tend to take too much with us on our travels. This packing list is a guidance on how to travel light, even for longer time periods and through different climates.

• Reply Travel and Taste the World February 26, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Hi Julia,
    Super Packliste! Ich nehme ja immer noch jedes Mal zu viel mit! 😉 Welchen Rucksack benutzt du denn? Habe mir vor kurzem den Osprey Farpoint 40 gekauft und versuche demnächst nur noch mit Handgepäck zu verreisen. Mal sehen ob das klappt…

LG, Julia

• Reply sileas March 5, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Man muss zwar etwas konsequent sein, aber dann klappt das schon 😉 Das Modell das ich damals verwendet habe hieß Black Canyon Montana 50. War ein echtes Schnäppchen 😉

• Reply Miyang February 27, 2017 at 1:25 am

I would probably remember these tips. Great help!

• Reply sileas March 5, 2017 at 5:12 pm

• Reply Paleica February 27, 2017 at 9:34 am

ich könnte niemals mit so wenig zeug verreisen 😀 😀 😀 immer wieder bewundernswert!

• Reply sileas March 5, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Wenn man bedenkt dass man das ganze Zeug fast täglich rumschleppen muss, versucht man mit so wenig wie möglich auszukommen 😛

• Reply Paleica March 6, 2017 at 10:12 am

ja, das versteh ich durchaus 😉

• Reply SueT唐 梦 琇 February 27, 2017 at 10:40 am

I wish I could pack like this…I find I need to take high shoes to wear out to dinner and a little dress but never wear them as stick to my jeans and a nice top (that does fold up small), but I take too many toiletries…I need to revisit my packing, I really do. Ps love your photo of the scarves…beautiful Julia.

• Reply sileas March 5, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Haha I totally know what you mean 😀 Thanks Sue!

• Reply tayonthemove February 27, 2017 at 6:14 pm

This is a pretty good packing list!

• Reply sileas March 5, 2017 at 5:18 pm

I hope I covered everything… Thanks!

• Reply Jessica February 27, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Great list! I need to get a saraong!! 😛

• Reply sileas March 5, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Definitely, it’s so useful!

• Reply Hanna March 1, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Two words:multi-functionality and layering! You are so right. How come I always end up packing more for a weekend trip than for a two weeks trip? Because I don’t think, I just pack- annoying. Great tips and the photo of you with backpack; happiest moments for sure 😉

• Reply sileas March 5, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Haha, yes that photo was taken in Japan. I guess with kids packing becomes even more challenging… I’d probably loose control 😛

• Reply Hanna March 6, 2017 at 5:34 am

I’m about to pack today and tomorrow… honestly, decided just go with really really minimum gear for us all. Let’s see how it goes…

• Reply PinaySkattebasse March 1, 2017 at 2:40 pm

I am a light traveller – but you are the queen of all. Hahaha. While scrolling down on your list I thought oh wow, only those??? 🙂 I also just bring a pair or two jeans and shorts and use it again and again along with other clothes for like 3 weeks vaca. And since I am not a make-up kind of girl it also saves some space in my luggage. I will follow the multi-functionality tip and layering though.

• Reply sileas March 5, 2017 at 5:32 pm

I mastered it over the years 😉 I think vacations are about going light. I want to get away from all the stuff at home, haha

• Reply Vicky T. March 1, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Oh I don’t travel so often so when I do I tend to over pack. Your list is rather compact for 7 months LOL!

Vicky T.

• Reply sileas March 5, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Haha, surely I wore the same clothes over and over again 😀

• Reply Mitzie Mee March 2, 2017 at 2:26 pm

I’m usually quite good at packing light, but I’m very bad at remembering everything:) Instead of a sarong, I bring a giant scarf, but I guess it fills the same purpose. Really nice to use as a blanket too, if you’re traveling with a low cost carrier without blankets on board. Regarding the e-book reader, I’m really tempted to get a kindle, but I’m also afraid that I would never use it.. Will use your list as a reference, next time I’m packing for a long trip:)

• Reply sileas March 5, 2017 at 5:40 pm

It was really annoying that I never used my kindle – I simply had no time for reading… And when I was traveling in a plane, train or so I’d rather sleep 😛 I’m sure you can do better than me!

• Reply wazwu March 5, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Yay, part 3 of this traveling series! I laughed out loud at the part where you mentioned “carrying like a donkey”… doesn’t sound very fun! XD I’ve saved this post for future reference, and your list is especially helpful. Great idea to bring a sarong along for multiple uses! Over the years, I’ve gotten better at packing light, but I always have trouble remembering to pack a few plastic bags for dirty laundry, ugh.

• Reply sileas March 8, 2017 at 11:07 am

I’m glad you found it useful. I’m by far no packing expert, but I hate carrying heavy stuff. I’m still learning and trying to improve my packing skills 😉

• Reply wazwu March 8, 2017 at 7:51 pm

I often overpack, force myself to carry it, then realize how awful it is on my shoulders. Definitely a learning process!