Impressions Vienna

Dear Vienna, when a Viennese goes abroad…

May 31, 2017
Most livable city Vienna

… I can’t help myself than praise you like you deserve. As someone who has constant itchy feet I haven’t felt much appreciation for my home city. Or maybe I just took it for granted to live in one of the safest, cleanest, most livable cities in the world (in fact it has been voted to the most livable city in the world for 8th consecutive years according to Mercer’s 2017 study). My view on Vienna has changed drastically during the last years: While I traveled much and started comparing different cities, I was attracted by such fast-paced mega-cities like Bangkok, Seoul or New York. To me these are still the epitomes of excitement made of shiny skyscrapers, endless shopping and dining options and vivid streets that never sleep (also: bad traffic, non-stop noise, air pollution and overcrowded trains). In fact, Vienna seemed sleepy and provincial after spending a fair amount of time in those cities mentioned before. But Vienna taught me better: A well working infrastructure, lots of green, an incredibly rich cultural heritage and the unique architecture leaves any other city look old (totally unbiased 😛 ). So why am I writing this? Because I’m leaving this gorgeous city for good, and I don’t know yet how long for.

After more than three years living in a distance relationship it’s time for a new chapter in a new city. If you have followed my blog for a while you probably now that my (meanwhile) fiancé lives in New York City. I’ve been visiting NYC frequently during the past years to make myself comfortable with what could be my new home. For the next three months (and probably longer) I’ll see what the Big Apple, Gotham or whatever you wanna call it, has to offer me. I hope you follow along!

While I’ve been quite busy recently, Vienna has showed its prettiest side during the last weeks. Early summer has kicked off and I spent some wonderful days at some of my favourite places with my favourite people.

Since I remember I lived in the neighbourhood of Schönbrunn Palace, Austria’s most visited attraction. No matter how often I get there, I never get bored of walking the beautiful gardens!

The Alte Donau is the perfect spot to enjoy Vienna’s modern skyline. As we had some very warm days in May, I took the chance to get a little tan 😉

I had my fair share of cakes because I know Viennese desserts are the best in the world! And the traditional Viennese coffee houses are the best places to have them!

Vienna isn’t only the city of desserts but also it has a rich wine culture. I mean, how many cities do you know that cultivate wine within the city limits?

Last but not least, May and June is the season of roses. And Vienna has plenty of them, some of the prettiest you’ll find at Volksgarten.

I’m looking forward to my adventures in NYC and I hope you’ll have a great summer!

Most livable city Vienna: Austria's capital has been voted highest according to a Mercer's study. I praise my home city especially while living abroad.

• Reply Patricia June 1, 2017 at 12:59 am

Beautiful post. I’m already excited about coming home (even if it’s just for a few weeks).
    Honestly speaking: I’m a little tired of living in an emerging nation/ country/ city or whatever you call it.

Enjoy your American experience – you ‘re already missed! 😚

• Reply sileas June 6, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Awww thank you 😚 Enjoy your time in Vienna!

• Reply The Wayfarer June 1, 2017 at 5:04 pm

I also see the appeal in smaller cities like Vienna, after living in a couple of them myself. But big cities do have their pluses, and they are great adventures! Have a great time in New York, I’m sure it’s going to be fabulous!

• Reply sileas June 6, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Yes I agree, both has up- and downsides. Thanks, I’ll try to make the most of it 😉

• Reply Vicky T. June 1, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Good luck with your move to New York!

• Reply sileas June 6, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Thanks so much Vicky!

• Reply SueT唐 梦 琇 June 2, 2017 at 11:55 am

A lovely post as a reminder of your beautiful city; I think it’s wonderful and romantic you are going to be with your partner Julia – I now look forward to more stories about NY and your new travels. All the very best an hope you have a lovely weekend.

• Reply sileas June 6, 2017 at 2:41 pm

I’m always grateful for your kind words Sue, I’m even more confident now that I’m doing the right thing 🙂 All the best wishes to Australia – which still – is way too far :/

• Reply SueT唐 梦 琇 June 7, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Most welcome Julia. I am sure you are doing the right thing. It’s wonderful and I do sincerely wish you all the very best.

• Reply kmkucharski June 3, 2017 at 9:11 pm

So glad you will be united with your fiancé in NYC!

Now that you will be in New York I hope I can show you some of my favorite places here – and if you miss Vienna there is always the Neue Galerie on 5th Ave and 86th Street to get a dose of Klimt and their cafe has an Austrian chef. You can see if you find the coffee, desserts and schnitzel authentic! (It’s far more expensive than Vienna). My favorite part of Central Park is the Conservatory Garden and I live right across the street from it. What will you be doing for work or do you have to job search when you get here?

And I hope to move to Vienna – but probably not for a year or so.

• Reply sileas June 6, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Thanks dear! I’m quite excited to be here! I remember being at the café of Neue Galerie and their Apfelstrudel was the real thing (although more than double the price) but at least I know where to go when I get a serious craving for Austrian food 😉 I’ll definitely check out the Conservatory Garden soon! I’m not working here yet but will start looking into jobs as soon the whole visa thing has been figured out…

• Reply sileas June 6, 2017 at 2:47 pm

And fingers crossed for your Vienna plans 🙂

• Reply tayonthemove June 5, 2017 at 11:10 pm

What a beautiful place! And from you Instagram, I noticed that you are already in NY, have fun!!

• Reply sileas June 6, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Yes!! Thank you 🙂

• Reply Pinayskattebasse June 6, 2017 at 9:29 am

Oh what a decision to make.❤️ I guess when we moved here in London, it was a piece of cake decision because Denmark is just an hour away and I know we are not leaving for good. 😌 I am happy for you Julia. Looking forward to your posts – what is at stake for you in NY! Hope to meet you there one day. ☺️ Love conquers all. I hope you are settling fine. All the best!

• Reply sileas June 6, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I’ve waited quite long to make the final decision actually 😛 Thanks for your lovely words, Angela. You’re right, love conquers all ❤️ All the best wishes to London!

• Reply Mitzie Mee June 12, 2017 at 3:19 pm

You’ve really showed us the best sites in Vienna, and I’ve never doubted how much you like the city. New York though…I’m so envious!! I’m sure you’ll love your new home just as much as Vienna, and I’m looking forward to read about your new adventures:) See you in New York!

• Reply sileas June 21, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Thanks Sanne, so far I can’t complain about NY 🙂 Looking forward to seeing you very soon!

• Reply Hanna June 21, 2017 at 6:13 am

Isn´t it funny how little we appreciate the city we live in, until….
    I´m looking forward to hear and read your adventures in New York, the city that never sleeps. Soon you need to have a little calm moment and travel back to Vienna 😀 Beautiful post and pictures, as always.

• Reply sileas June 21, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Yes, you’re absolutely right! But it’s exciting at the same time and I’m grateful that this chance was given to me. It’s a great gift to call many places home 🙂

• Reply Christina June 21, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Fiancé?! Congrats!! and I’m so happy for you that you are taking on a new & exciting adventure and moving abroad (or at least to NYC for a few months)! (and I’m a bit jealous too I have to admit!) Can’t wait to hear all about your new adventures 🙂 and your post about Vienna is a perfect resumé of what the city has to offer 🙂

• Reply sileas June 21, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Awww thank you! I guess you totally understand what it means to live in different cities 😉 You’ve lived in quite cool places already and I’m curious what’s coming next 😉

• Reply Christina June 28, 2017 at 9:45 pm

haha yes I do! 😀 I’m curious about that too, to be honest. 😉 haven’t got any concrete plans yet 😀

• Reply Paleica June 22, 2017 at 6:40 am

oh nun konnte ich den artikel auch endlich lesen 🙂 eine sehr schöne hommage an wien <3 ja, so schlecht haben wirs hier nicht, auch wenn die raunzerei einem im blut liegt. dennoch bin ich sicher, deine zeit in NYC wird super toll und großartig und das neue kapitel wird viel schönes und manches auch nicht so schönes für dich bereithalten. genieße die nächsten wochen und ich freu mich, ein bisschen mitzulesen 🙂

• Reply sileas June 22, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Dankeschön! Soweit kann ich mich wirklich nicht beschweren 🙂 Ich bin schon gespannt was die Stadt noch so für mich bereit hält!