New York City

Calling NYC home – a month in life via Instagram

June 29, 2017
best Instagram spots NYC

Since exactly one month I call the Big Apple home and it feels surreal how fast that month went by, despite not having a “real” work life yet. However I tried to stay productive at least and found myself quite busy in a routine that consists of yoga, figuring out what to eat for lunch/dinner (decisions, decisions), walking around the city and attending a Saturday-class about Social Media Marketing. Living in a giant city which dimensions go way beyond my usual movement radius in Vienna, also means that a lot of time goes into transportation. So yes, when I think back about the past month, I’d say I spent a good chunk of my time in Gotham’s subway system and I’m slowly, VERY slowly getting used to it.

While my fiance was at work during the week (and I had class Saturday all day), Sunday was our day to spend time together and to go somewhere where stressed New Yorkers find some relief from the hustle and bustle. Fortunately this is the right season to fully enjoy what NYC’s parks and beaches have to offer – and yes – even within the city limits it’s possible to get something that feels like vacation! (See also: Summer tips for NYC)

But like any big city, New York is full of surprises and the exploration never ends. The architecture, street art, the people – there’s inspiration literally anywhere. Therefore, my camera has been my most faithful companion here and I never get tired of taking photos of the famous and lesser known landmarks of the city that never sleeps. I shared my favourite pics on Instagram (on my NY profile @viennyc) and I’m adding a selection in the following. I hope you enjoy them, and if you do so, I’d be happy if you give me a follow ๐Ÿ˜‰

As much I’m enjoying my time here, I can’t wait for the long weekend (thanks July 4th) to come and finally hit the roads again! Stay tuned!

After a month living in New York City I captured some of the more iconic and lesser known places of the city. My favourite shots are collected in this Instagram gallery.

• Reply The Wayfarer June 29, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Your pictures are fantastic! Glad to hear you’re adjusting to NYC ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply sileas July 9, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Thanks a lot ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply SueTๅ” ๆขฆ ็‡ June 30, 2017 at 5:02 am

Hi Julia, so one month in NY; well you are making the most of it with your beautiful photos – I loved the Brooklyn Bridge even though I didn’t get the opportunity to walk on it and ‘loved’ the flat iron building – I think that is a building so many people love. I hope you continue to enjoy your new life in a different country which I am sure you will make the most of. Look forward to your next posts. I am just on my way to the UK for a two week holiday then Abu Dhabi for three days so guess I will do lots of posts from there too. regards Sue

• Reply sileas July 10, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Dear Sue, indeed it’s very exciting to live in a new city and I’m having a wonderful time! Hope you’re enjoying your UK trip to the fullest!

• Reply tayonthemove June 30, 2017 at 4:54 pm

I love walking around and getting lost in NYC, beautiful pics!

• Reply sileas July 10, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Yes, it can be a little overwhelming sometimes ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Reply PinaySkattebasse July 1, 2017 at 11:12 am

Thank you for this post Julia! Will get back to this the moment we are ready to hit NY! ๐Ÿ™‚ I think it’s funny there are either Little Venice or Little all around the world! Hehehe. You’ve got nice photos of Brooklyn bridge. Really love the blending of colors.

• Reply sileas July 11, 2017 at 1:18 am

Thanks Angela! You find a little bit of everything here, that’s what makes NY so fun ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Paleica July 5, 2017 at 8:58 am

die meisten bilder davon hab ich ja schon auf instagram bewundert. in NY zu leben ist sicher eine spannende und aufregende und manchmal vermutlich auch eher anstrengende erfahrung. genieรŸ deine zeit – vor allem einmal jetzt, wo du noch etwas zeit hast, dich zu akklimatisieren!

• Reply sileas July 11, 2017 at 1:22 am

Ja, es konnte mir wirklich nichts Besseres passieren als genรผgend Zeit zu haben, die Stadt richtig kennen zu lernen! Und gerade fรผr New York braucht es diese Zeit ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Reply Paleica July 11, 2017 at 3:17 pm

oh das glaub ich gern!

• Reply Hanna July 8, 2017 at 6:27 am

It has been so wonderful to follow your adventures in your new home town. New York looks somehow so different during summertime and as you wrote, perfect time for a visit. Enjoy Julia!

• Reply sileas July 11, 2017 at 1:26 am

Thanks so much Hanna! I’m glad I got the chance to be here the whole summer! Winter… that’s a different story ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Reply Tiffany. Yang July 8, 2017 at 5:44 pm

I totally agree, you can never visit NYC too many. There are just so much to explore! Loving all the photos, definitely following your new account. Have a great day! ๐Ÿ™‚

Tiffany x

• Reply sileas July 11, 2017 at 1:27 am

Absolutely! Even the people who live here haven’t seen it all… Thanks Tiffany!

• Reply Mitzie Mee July 8, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Beautiful photos Julia, and welcome to your new home. Hope to see you again by the end of this month:)

• Reply sileas July 11, 2017 at 1:28 am

Yes!! See you very soon again ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Reply Christina July 9, 2017 at 1:55 pm

great shots – i loved every single picture that you took! ๐Ÿ˜€ it looks like you had a great start of your new exciting chapter ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply sileas July 11, 2017 at 1:30 am

Awww thank you! Yes I did ๐Ÿ˜€

• Reply shootingvienna July 11, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Super Fotos! Freut mich ein Update von dir zu lesen, von deinen Instagram Stories habe ich schon gesehen dass ihr sehr viel unternehmt. Und mach dir keinen Stress bezรผglich updates auf Instagram, jeder hat sein eigenes Tempo ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply sileas July 14, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Zur Zeit bin auf Instagram sowieso nicht gut zu sprechen ๐Ÿ˜› Aber stimmt, langweilig wird es mir zum Glรผck nicht ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Reply Julie July 13, 2017 at 10:42 am

You’ve definitely hit the ground running! I am so lazy when I’m back in the city now…! Gorgeous photos!!

• Reply sileas July 14, 2017 at 2:57 pm

I totally understand you, there’s finally time to hang out with your family!

• Reply Anna | Gradwanderung (@dgradwanderung) July 17, 2017 at 9:17 am

Wow, ein Monat in New York. Das klingt spannend. Darf ich fragen, ob das einen bestimmten Grund hat oder wolltest du das einfach mal ausprobieren?

Herzlich,
    Anna

• Reply sileas July 22, 2017 at 2:39 pm

Klar darfst du fragen ๐Ÿ˜‰ Mein Freund/Verlobter lebt hier und nach jahrelanger Fernbeziehung wollte ich mal den nรคchsten Schritt wagen ๐Ÿ˜‰